Tank swap

Rockhound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had a 50 gal cube with 16 gal sump. I have built a 150 lagoob with 40 gal sump. New ro water. I used all my old water,sand,rock,and filter media. Tank has been running for about 3 days. There is probably 75lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand from my old tank. Also seachem pond matrix,chemi pure and 5lbs of ceramic media. Would it be ok to put my fish in the tank if the nutrients are good?

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a similar approach moving from a 60 to a 180 with probably even less live rock than you used. I also dosed microbacter to be safe. Moved 2 tangs and 2 chrmois over after 2 days. Never saw any noticable cycle. You should be fine just make sure youre testing. I would have loved the wait longer but my schedule didnt allow for it, everyones still doing great 6 months later.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the entire contents of my 55 into my current 75 in about 4 hours about a year ago with no problem. I've read several threads here debating the practice of transferring the sand. Iirc correctly, disturbing the sand bed releases detritus and can cause a dangerous ammonia spike. Where are your fish now? packed in a small qt? that's probably stressful. Check all your usual parameters and ammonia and if things are good acclimate and move them in. Certainly couldn't hurt to add some Instant Ocean Bio Spira.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the stress from QT if that's where your fish are currently located. You have plenty of biological filtration media that's already colonized. Should be no problem processing normal ammonia.
When you move to the next bigger tank don't re-use the sand. It's just not worth it.

OP
OP
R

Rockhound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a new 40 lb bag of live sand on the new tank. I washed all my old sand then added it back. they are in a 5 gal buket with heater and airstone. 2 small clowns, lawnmower, and diamond goby.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had a 50 gal cube with 16 gal sump. I have built a 150 lagoob with 40 gal sump. New ro water. I used all my old water,sand,rock,and filter media. Tank has been running for about 3 days. There is probably 75lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand from my old tank. Also seachem pond matrix,chemi pure and 5lbs of ceramic media. Would it be ok to put my fish in the tank if the nutrients are good?
Yes, absolutely.

If all parameters are good, also meant you avoided any nutrient spike from transferring the sand too. So safe to add fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back