*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TANK TALK: What equipment on a stock aquarium system is necessary to upgrade for fish and corals to thrive? Weigh in on your thoughts below for your entry today.
I'll take "All of it" for 1000, Alex (or, Ken now, I suppose).

Last edited:

geeked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would finally cover my tank and stop the wrasse from jumping out. The autofeeder would be good for the one Anthias I have.

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What equipment on a stock aquarium system is necessary to upgrade for fish and corals to thrive? Weigh in on your thoughts below for your entry today.
For me, my first tank was the Fluval 13.5. After getting it set up and running, I did some research online and learned that the follow where "ok" to start a reef but not for long term success.

The stock media was originally a foam block with a small bag of charcoal. I upgraded it to a multi chamber media holder. This let me put some filter floss in the top chamber, so charcoal in the media and then some bio block in the bottom to help with bacterial filtration.

Next I replaced the stock lid and light that had no adjustments with a Fluval Sea Led strip. It gave me the ablity to control the light time length and color spectrum from my phone. With in a short time I noticed this help with my algae controls.

Lastly to help add more water volume and biological control. I add a Fuji HOB refuge. Sadly it didn't come with a light but I already had a small light that I used. Once it was hooked up I add more live rock to help clean up the main tank. This also gave me another 1.5 gal of water volume to help some with water stability.

I know there's still more that tank needs but for now I'm liking it for a RFA and Xenia garden.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's not the same equiptment for fish and coral.
Fish I would have to say a skimmer. Need to keep that waste down.
For coral is day either lighting or dosing. Most "package tanks" have crappy lights. And dosing or calcium reactor is going to make a world of differance in stability.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Flow. Most tanks need powerheads, that's a given, but I feel like most people will replace the return nozzles with RFG. I wish that was just a standard stock equipment piece on more tanks or more "elbows" for it so you could customize where it is pointing.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No plank yet. It does have all the features I'm looking for. Just haven't jumped on it yet. A lid is next priority then auto feeding.

Also looking to set up ph monitoring at some point.

Couple more fish. Lol

So many plans

TANK TALK: For those of you already using the plank: share an experience, picture, or video of feeding time!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish it were easier to keep fish alive! Actually, I've had decent luck with my fish but there are far too many threads out there for sick/dying fish. Way too many diseases and too few treatments that won't kill other fish or corals.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Having a massive amount of money to be able afford the hobby :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Or just be lucky like @tbrown and win everything.
Winner Win GIF by Gerbert!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
TANK TALK: If you could make one thing easier in this hobby, what would you choose?
Conversions or dosing info would be nice. Imagine if Reef Roids showed a table that was approximate phosphates increase per spoonful into x amount of water (assuming all things equal and not taking into account export methods).

In general, most instructions are "add x ml per gallon" but don't provide the actual amount of whatever it's supposed to raise or add.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: If you could make one thing easier in this hobby, what would you choose?
Just one thing? Can water be lighter so the floor holds a bigger tank? Can coral be easier? And a few more, but it's early and the night was long, really just a. Late bed time.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 12.9%
Back