Tank too Clean and Sterile?

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Thread is here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cheves-2-6-gallon-pico.401616/

Tank has been up for a year. My old .5 gal pico did really well and the soft corals grew like crazy. I setup this tank in May of 2018. I have had a hard time getting the soft corals to grow, GSP has even receded. Water params are always 0 on the three Nitrates. Water change of 4 cups every two or three weeks. Distilled water top off and replacement with Coral Pro Salt in Purple bucket. 1.025 gravity with refractometer. Constant 77 degrees temp.

Tanks cheato does grow and need trimmed every month. I designed this tank to have as little algae growth in the main tank and I think I may have gone to far. I only have to remove a thin film of clear growth from the glass every few weeks. My corals are washed out and pale and I've had no growth in anything except a chalice, but it is pale looking as well.

I feed a couple of drops of microvert, pyloplankton and zooplex everyweek. I purchased three different SPS corals today(May 20, 2019) on the $10 rack. I've heard you need immaculate water quality to grow SPS. Do you think my tank is to clean since I'm not getting any algae or coral growth in the main tank? What should I do, feed more? Also looking for anyone who is using the Aquamaxx Prism 300 lights and their experience settings.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could use some readings from nutrient tests. No3 , Po4 ?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're having the same issues i did a while back- seems like your water really is a bit too clean. That Chaeto might be over kill?

I have the Prism on my IM lagoon, and the brightness is waaaaaaaaaaaay down. I don't remember exactly but at max power, my blues are in the mid-high teens, whites, under 10, and red below 5. I don't have many corals right now, but the bridsnest, tort, and gsp seem very pleased.

Also, the coral pro salt has high Alkalinity no? I think the regular Red Sea salt would be better in this case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back