Tank transfer help

Ronk1109

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I have an up and running 54 gallon reef tank. I am in the process of building a 180 gallon. At what point should I transfer my water and live rock and corals to my new tank. Should I completely cycle the 180? Or can I add my existing rock and water to help or eliminate the cycle process?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I transferred all from my 46 bowfront to 75 gallon. Started with proper amount of salt, new live sand, when the water clears I moved rocks first with corals attached, all other corals and then fish, inverts. It's been six weeks now and everything is doing fine, also my clam. Use as much water from the old system to the new, I think the nutrients in the old water helps. In your situation I am not sure because of the water volume, but if you do it this way make sure to keep an eye on ammonia, adding extra live rock will help also.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I transferred all from my 46 bowfront to 75 gallon. Started with proper amount of salt, new live sand, when the water clears I moved rocks first with corals attached, all other corals and then fish, inverts. It's been six weeks now and everything is doing fine, also my clam. Use as much water from the old system to the new, I think the nutrients in the old water helps. In your situation I am not sure because of the water volume, but if you do it this way make sure to keep an eye on ammonia, adding extra live rock will help also.
Also my system remained stable and did not cycle again. I test water daily and hand dose when needed.

OP
OP
R

Ronk1109

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my system remained stable and did not cycle again. I test water daily and hand dose when needed.
Thank you. I was just concerned because of the amount of new water that would be in the system. 54 gallons of old water I would still need over 100 gallons of new. Not sure if this is enough

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I was just concerned because of the amount of new water that would be in the system. 54 gallons of old water I would still need over 100 gallons of new. Not sure if this is enough
I think you will be fine, just keep an eye on parameters and dose as needed. Check daily until stable. When transferring, just make sure ph, temp and salinity is the same as old water.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 46 to a 100 gallon and didn't lose anything. I did the same thing as above. Moved bottom layer of rock. Then new sand, then new water. As soon as it cleared fish went in. Waited a week then moved corals.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acclimate fish to new tank as if you just bought them and assure parameters in both tanks are similar
Run carbon the first 3-4 weeks as some corals will release toxins at first during adjustment period

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theres our collection of moves. We used all new water every time, but I like the above idea of adding some old for nutrients

drop the lighting in the new tank re ramp
not full production levels work up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back