Tank transfer method or copper for fish needing sand

karsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planing on getting a couple Halichoeres wrasse (radiant and maybe earmuff or adorned) and a diamond goby. I normally do the HTTM to limit medications but I’ve never needed sand in QT before. I’m concerned about having to move the fish with them buried and needing to dig them out stressing them. Would it be better to do a standard copper power quarantine in this case. Either way I plan on waiting till they‘re eating to start. What do you think would be the least stressful and most successful approach?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m planing on getting a couple Halichoeres wrasse (radiant and maybe earmuff or adorned) and a diamond goby. I normally do the HTTM to limit medications but I’ve never needed sand in QT before. I’m concerned about having to move the fish with them buried and needing to dig them out stressing them. Would it be better to do a standard copper power quarantine in this case. Either way I plan on waiting till they‘re eating to start. What do you think would be the least stressful and most successful approach?
Some wrasse do not fair well with hyposalinity. For your question, TTM often produces stress on fish with wrasse being one of them. Your best bet is a Chelated copper product such as coppersafe or copper power at level 2.0 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hybrid ttm with my coris. Worked great. I think you will get mixed thoughts on if sand is necessary. But i say why not. you arent adding copper that will absorb into the sand.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would do a standard copper treatment.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that hybrid TTM does not treat for flukes, and isn't very effective against Brooklynella or Amyloodinium

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back