Tank Transfer Method

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, maybe I was confusing it with the concern some have over aerosolized droplets transfering Ich from the clean tank to the dirty tank. But if one is bad, the other would have to be too, no? (Not trying to be argumentative with anyone with better knowledge than me, mind you.)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe you are totally correct about how to handle a Puffer @MnFish1. (I once owned two small Valentini.) But since with the TTM you are trying to move the fish, and fish only (no water— not even droplets) from one tank to another, isn’t that where the problem comes in with trying to move a submersed Puffer?
OH - good point. If I 'had' to do it. I would empty as much water out - or do the following - Remove the fish from the tank in a container. Empty as much water out as possible - then replace it (choose your method) - such that you can dilute the water in teh container significantly - such that there is very little likelihood that any CI is being carried into the TTM tank. .

PS - Its my understanding that TTM is not trying to avoid having free swimming CI from getting into the tank - but rather preventing the attached (to the glass/container) CI from hatching and reinfecting the fish. I'm not sure that not 'even a drop' of water can get into the tank.

KeefsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH - good point. If I 'had' to do it. I would empty as much water out - or do the following - Remove the fish from the tank in a container. Empty as much water out as possible - then replace it (choose your method) - such that you can dilute the water in teh container significantly - such that there is very little likelihood that any CI is being carried into the TTM tank. .

PS - Its my understanding that TTM is not trying to avoid having free swimming CI from getting into the tank - but rather preventing the attached (to the glass/container) CI from hatching and reinfecting the fish. I'm not sure that not 'even a drop' of water can get into the tank.

Thank you!

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish any thoughts on using something like Chloroquine phosphate at therapeutic levels in each tank as a second layer of insurance or would that be a waste

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be used to treat multiple fish in the same tank assuming they are all added and placed into the next tank at the same time?
Any answer is appreciated if those have experience!
Thanks
I have velvet in my tank and some species can not survive copper or CP.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can this be used to treat multiple fish in the same tank assuming they are all added and placed into the next tank at the same time?
Thanks
I believe it could, depending on the size of the fish, and the size of the TTM tank you're trying to use.

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Yes, I have done it many times. Add at same time, transfer at same time. Also note, TTM schedule for velvet is slightly different than ich

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I goofed up today. Today was transfer 4 during 36 hour periods - I went past it by 1h20m. Do I have to restart from the beginning or can I just re-do another 36h period? I'd really hate to reset, ugh. I was intending to do the velvet+ich method. The fish is showing no signs of anything fwiw.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add an extra 36h, if that’s what you do… but I thought the recommendation was transfer every 72h?

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add an extra 36h, if that’s what you do… but I thought the recommendation was transfer every 72h?
There are 2 methods. The 72 hour method is in my mind preferred.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I goofed up today. Today was transfer 4 during 36 hour periods - I went past it by 1h20m. Do I have to restart from the beginning or can I just re-do another 36h period? I'd really hate to reset, ugh. I was intending to do the velvet+ich method. The fish is showing no signs of anything fwiw.
Just do another 36/72 hour period. I then like to observe for a week to be sure nothing snuck through.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last page for all versions

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
last page for all versions
No offense to Humblefish the protocol is contradictory. I think I know what he means - but saying day 1, day 2, etc suggests doing something on each of those days, when in fact, the changes are done at 1.5 day - or 3 day intervals. So - it is confusing

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense to Humblefish the protocol is contradictory. I think I know what he means - but saying day 1, day 2, etc suggests doing something on each of those days, when in fact, the changes are done at 1.5 day - or 3 day intervals. So - it is confusing
Agreed. I built a spreadsheet with some macros that calculates everything down to the hour. All I need to do is put in the date and time I start and it figures out the rest. Did both a Purchase fish online version as well as a Purchase fish from LFS version.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it every 36 hours. 14 days. Prazzi day 7 and 14. Dont like getting up at the off hour changes but what ya gonna do *-*

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a longnose butterfly that looks like has ich. But he also has some pimple looking spots on his side. Opinion seems to be an issue with copper. I only got him a few days ago and he is a joy! He perks up when food is presented but I have not witness him eating.

I did a freshwater dip and that's when the ich became apparent. I was wondering if TTM would work to cure the ich and in every other transfer I can medicate the pimple spots with Kanaplex or Metro? I am worried about treating him with copper if that is the general consensus of the pimple spots. But I also know I cant mix metro or kanaplex with copper so I wouldnt be able to treat it anyways.

1644956493664.png

1644956517924.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back