Tank turned green overnight

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not entirely sure what happened everything was going well and I mean fish and corals are still happy but my tanks water turned green. No algae on the glass or rocks just the water. Anyone have any ideas as to why or what would work in helping clean this up? I’ve added bottle bac thinking it was a bacterial bloom and it hasn’t done anything. Maybe I hadn’t got enough bacteria in a bottle idk. I usually don’t run sucks and I’ve added socks maybe I should go for a smaller micron? This isn’t my first tank but it’s the first time I’ve ever had water turn green

image.jpg image.jpg

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water borne algea bloom.
It will likely suck all the oxygen out of your water.
A petco 9 watt Green Machine uv should clear it up quick.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some peroxide on hand but I can’t head to Petco any time soon they close before I get off work. Would you know the ml to gallons for dosing by chance? Also thank you
That why I brought it up. Not everyone can drop everything and run out and buy a uv sterilizer.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as why, are you carbon dosing? Or feeding with coral aminos?
Better yet what have you dosed in the last week other than alk buffer, calcium, or magnesium?

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as why, are you carbon dosing? Or feeding with coral aminos?
Better yet what have you dosed in the last week other than alk buffer, calcium, or magnesium?
I drop aminos in but maybe once every 2 weeks. And other than that I feed my tang seaweed every day and just fish food. Same stuff I’ve been doing in my other tanks. This one is closer to natural sun though.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are all guilty of being too random in doseing aminos. I certainly am. We really should dose smaller amounts on a rock solid schedule so the system gets used to processing the added fuel quickly. That way its not leftover algea food.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are all guilty of being too random in doseing aminos. I certainly am. We really should dose smaller amounts on a rock solid schedule so the system gets used to processing the added fuel quickly. That way its not leftover algea food.
Yes. It’s extremely random. For a while I was thinking of just stopping all together but I noticed how much the corals enjoy it after not dosing it for a month in my older tank. But I think it handles things a lot better since it’s more established than this newer tank

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellas I don’t think the peroxide worked. It’s seemed to have gotten worse. I honestly have no idea what to do. Corals are now starting to die fish seem happy. My heater just blew up ughh any body have any other ideas? I would appreciate it

image.jpg

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellas I don’t think the peroxide worked. It’s seemed to have gotten worse. I honestly have no idea what to do. Corals are now starting to die fish seem happy. My heater just blew up ughh any body have any other ideas? I would appreciate it

image.jpg
Did you dose peroxide every day? It looks like you basically have a phyto culture in your tank. You could cut your lights or stop feeding but that may cause a crash with ammonia spikes if your export isn't good enough. How big of a water change can you do?

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose peroxide every day? It looks like you basically have a phyto culture in your tank. You could cut your lights or stop feeding but that may cause a crash with ammonia spikes if your export isn't good enough. How big of a water change can you do?
I have been since I started this thread so it’s almost been 7 days. 8ml a day at 4pm I have just recently added a skimmer and I think I finally got it to start working.

Back