Tank Upgrade - Light Options

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have upgraded from a small 37L(10g) cube to a custom tank, the dimensions of the new tank is 84(L)x44(w)x44(h) in centimeters, roughly 33inx17inx17in -- Can see photos/more info in build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dopeys-reef.631917 .

On the 37L tank I had a single AI Prime HD.

I am considering a couple options:
  • T5 Aquatic lights 24" T5/LED Hybrid using my existing AI Prime in the center.
  • Buy a second AI Prime HD -- Having two AI Prime HD equally across the tank

Since the tank is custom I would either need to us T5 lights that are a bit too short (24in/60cm) or too long (36in/90cm). I think a bit shorter is better than having lights hang off the ends?

Would either of these solutions work? Would you suggest something else?

I don't have any concrete plans on how this tank will develop over time. Today(from the 37L) it has mainly softies(zoas, shrooms, gsp, hammerhead) and a candycane. Current thought is to move the candycane/hammerhead to another rock and let the 37L rock just evolve.. Moving Zoas/Shrooms/gsp feels nearly impossible :) -- There is space between the GSP rock and other rock structures. It will not be allowed to escape to the new rockwork :)

Have not given much thought to any new additions yet nor plan to make any in the coming couple months as the new tank stabilizes from the upgrade.

Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this is just my opinion and nothing more. I would go with the all led approach and here is why. I like having control over both the intensity and color in my tank. Intensity control is possible with some t5's but not the vast majority. Changing colors requires changing bulbs.

I had a 40g cube with a Photon V2 led fixture. I tried several different t5 additions. First just one bulb up front to reduce shadows, then a second bulb behind the led that was more blue. But they were both too fixed in terms of intensity. If I only used them for 4 to 6 hours at midday when intensity of the leds was high, it was OK... barely. But even at late sunrise and early sunset the t5's were too bright for me and washed out the changes from the leds.

So I switched to running 2 led fixtures. A 16" Photon V2 up front and a very basic blue & white only 24" led behind it. I only used the blues in that fixture. But that allowed me to move the Photon V2 further forward over the tank and a lot of the shadowing at the front of the tank went away. And the blue toward the back of the tank gave the tank a much deeper (front to back) look. A lot more realistic to what you see when you dive or snorkel.

Here is what the 40g cube looked like. Notice the blue is stronger at the back.

20190102_103252 R1.jpg

Now I'm in the process of setting up a 90g DIY tank that is 36"x30"x20". I'm using a 24" Photon V2+ up front (I already owned it) and a new 32" Photon V2+ at the back. It looks very similar to the old 40g cube. But now I have the ability to program sunrise and sunset on both fixtures. I still run the front more white that the back, but now I can ramp the back fixture and even change the colors so it's more violet/deep blue at dawn and dusk while it's less intense and a lighter and way more intense blue at midday. No photos yet as the new tank is just getting set up. You can see the build process here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ron-reefmans-new-90g-build.636706/#post-6344998

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" 65g tank, with the aquatic life hybrid and two Primes. I run all Blue+ bulbs, and the Primes on a modified AB spectrum to add the pop that the t5's take out.

I'm growing SPS and lps.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back