Tank upgrade question

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m soon going to transfer the fish and corals from my Fluval 13.5 to a 40 Breeder tank. I plan on transferring all the rocks, sand, and media from one tank to the other. Can I do that immediately or is there a long cycle that should happen first? Thanks!

Sharkbait

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If it is anything similar to a tank move, you could do it all at once and then keep an eye for ammonia. I moved to a new city earlier this year and my tank did not go through a cycle.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think people will ask a few more questions like, are you adding more rock, if so what kind…think the going thought here is that you can do the whole swap fish and all just thoroughly rinse all sand before transferring and the rock should handle the bioload….also brings a couple new questions up like…
Are your fish quarantined if not now is a great time to get on track

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think people will ask a few more questions like, are you adding more rock, if so what kind…think the going thought here is that you can do the whole swap fish and all just thoroughly rinse all sand before transferring and the rock should handle the bioload….also brings a couple new questions up like…
Are your fish quarantined if not now is a great time to get on track
I got 20 lbs of caribsea life rock to add to the rock that’s been in my 13.5 for a year and a half. And caribsea live sand (40 lbs).
All fish have been qt’ed but will be held back in qt to ensure nothing gets moved into the new system (as I’m no 100% sure everyone’s parasite free).

Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll definitely make sure to rinse the sand!

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If adding new rock you’ll want to soak it in rodi for a couple days and get all the extra stuff of it/ out of it potentially

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think you should stick with just the Evo but...... :p
If you ever want to sell me your in tank media baskets for a fraction of the cost, I'll be right here.
Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna leave the evo up as a qt for now, it’s would be nice to have a fast tracked setup where I can qt more than 1-2 fish at a time before moving to the big tank.
After that, maybe a mantis?

Cincyreefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater I've done that many times with no issue. I just started my first salt tank over 2 months ago. It's an established Flex 32.5 including filter media, sand, and 15ish pounds of live rock. No fish were included, but it did have 3 corals and a snail.
I transferred the tank an hour away with just a few gallons of water and couldn't fully setup the tank until the following evening. I swapped the old sand with new and added roughly 30lbs of uncured, dry rock( just brushed it off and placed in the tank. Apparently not recommended, but I didn't know). I tested daily for a week and did not have any ammonia spikes. Crabs and snails were added after a couple days and 1 fish at the 1 week mark. I continued to test every couple days for another couple weeks and still no changes.

So in my opinion you'll be just fine. The main things to remember are 1, don't leave live rock out long(transfer quickly to prevent die off) 2, don't add any extra stock to the tank right away. It's a bigger tank, but your bioload is still at the smaller tank levels and 3, changing the sand really will help reduce the chance of unwanted problems.
Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back