Tank upgrade (transfer) Best Practices

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting fellow reefers,

I have a 32 gallon Biocube that I have had going strong and steady for about 4 years. I recently purchased a new tank because I am tired of the look of the Biocube. (I have the lid removed and have Kessil lighting and it just looks bad. The Biocube has a sand substrate but I would like for my new tank to be bare bottom. Does anyone have any advice or know of any good videos, columns or knowledge bases that cover what is considered best practice when transferring the contents of one reef tank to another? I have purchased some extra MarinePure BioMedia spheres that I was considering putting in a mesh bag in the current tank for a few weeks to seed them with my current tanks' beneficial bacteria. I imagine that when I transfer over the live rock that this will do the same thing. Should I start with all new water, or perhaps half and half? (half new water, half water from the old tank?) I was thinking about using the seeded Bio Media and a few smaller live rocks from the old tank to help kick start the cycle in the new tank for a few weeks before moving all of the live rock and corals and fish over?

I'm just nervous about having to go through a completely new cycle. Will this be possible even without transferring my substrate?

If anyone has any experience with transferring the contents of one tank to a new tank a would really appreciate your input. What methods did you use, what advice would you give me?

Thank you all so much for your help. I love this hobby so much and it has helped me tremendously during this pandemic. It has truly helped literally keep me sane.

God Bless,

Josh

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congrats on the new tank. Hope this helps.

Back