tank value

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i have a 55 gallon mixed reef that i might be taking down in the next few months. i was just wondering if you were to buy it how much you would do it for. here is what it contains:
Coral:
-6*6 inch gsp colony
-zoanthid frag
-5head ricordea
- 6 inch wide 5 inch tall 5 inch long acro
-goni frag
-4 head duncan
-ricordea frag

inverts:
- tons of snails and crabs
-cleaner shrimp
-sexy anemone shrimp
-bubble tip anemone
-giant emerald crab

equipment:
-eshopps 1200 gph hob overflow
-random 1200 gph adjustable 40 dollar amazon pump
-10 gallon sump
-blue ocean hob protein skimmer for 75 gallon
-2 nicrew 50w leds
-150ish pounds of live rock with coraline
-60 pounds of carib sea sand
-300watt heater
-55/75 gallon wood stand
-tons of additives and equipment prob worth like 200.

tank : standard 55 gallon

just wondering how much it would be worth r someone would buy it for, not actually for sale.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pictures, impossible to say bc your value is in your corals. Your equipment is not the most desirable....sorry

But honestly if you got a $250 cash offer, I'd kiss their feet....both of them

OP
OP
lilithereefer

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah ik about the equipment it was a budget build , i now just want to sell it and sorta restart to try and get some better equipment. i cant really take pictures becasue i am away from home i also forgot to mention two mp 40s

OP
OP
lilithereefer

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i def do get that a lot about the equipment though, it all works perfect though but i am looking for an upgrade and it wont do what i need for a bigger tank.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your money is in your corals, if desirable.

And those MP40s if somewhat new and in good condition (especially wetsides)

Basic common equipment is worth about 25cent on the $1 you paid. Remember its an extreeeeeeemly limited market

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic common equipment (beyond those MP40s) is worth about 25cent on the $1 you paid.

Remember its an extreeeeeeemly limited market

OP
OP
lilithereefer

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lights ik were 100 each and the skimmer 125 the mp40s were too much and the overflow was 100. those are really my only good peices of equipment

OP
OP
lilithereefer

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my coral in all is worth about 200-250, my live rock is about let's say if i sold per pound... 200-300, my skimmer about 100, my lights are worth 200, my sump is worth 20 (lol) my overflow was expensive and was about 100. my tank and stand are about 150 as a "used price" and then the powerheads i got on crazy sale for about 100 for both, everything is in pretty much mint condition. my inverts i say maybe 75 in total. i also am in new york where everything is expensive so pricing things is hard. the heater was only like 45 bucks on amazon.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely part it out. A used 55 gallon isn't really worth much, and your skimmer and lights are "off brand" with almost no resale market.

Sell the coral and inverts, then the live rock. Ask $50-75 for the Eshopps overflow and you can make a few hundred from the MP40's if they are the newer QD style.

I think 25 cents on the dollar is not accurate for name brand, desirable equipment. But I also think only your overflow box and vortechs fit that bill.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so i have a 55 gallon mixed reef that i might be taking down in the next few months. i was just wondering if you were to buy it how much you would do it for. here is what it contains:
Coral:
-6*6 inch gsp colony
-zoanthid frag
-5head ricordea
- 6 inch wide 5 inch tall 5 inch long acro
-goni frag
-4 head duncan
-ricordea frag

inverts:
- tons of snails and crabs
-cleaner shrimp
-sexy anemone shrimp
-bubble tip anemone
-giant emerald crab

equipment:
-eshopps 1200 gph hob overflow
-random 1200 gph adjustable 40 dollar amazon pump
-10 gallon sump
-blue ocean hob protein skimmer for 75 gallon
-2 nicrew 50w leds
-150ish pounds of live rock with coraline
-60 pounds of carib sea sand
-300watt heater
-55/75 gallon wood stand
-tons of additives and equipment prob worth like 200.

tank : standard 55 gallon

just wondering how much it would be worth r someone would buy it for, not actually for sale.

For your corals:
6*6 inch gsp colony: I personally would never buy a GSP anything, but I know a lot of beginner reefers love it. This honestly might be best to frag into multiple 2x2 frags (or 1x1) and trade to your LFS for store credit (in my experience they'd probably give a couple bucks per frag, so that could be $50-$100 in store credit). A lot of people that are deep enough into the hobby to buy things from other hobbyists are not going to be terribly enthusiastic about GSP, so cash value to sell the whole thing at once might only be $30 or so.

Zoanthid frag: This is entirely dependent on what frag you have and how many polyps it is. If it's an Utter Chaos or an Aoi and you have 20+ polyps of it, you could be looking at hundreds of dollars. If it's a more common morph and just a couple polyps, it might only be $10-$20. The market for zoas is highly variable.

5-head Ricordea: Frag each head onto its own plug. Those usually sell for $25-$50/head retail, so you could probably expect $15-$20 each if you sold to another hobbyist, or about $10/store credit per head if you trade with your LFS.

6 inch wide 5 inch tall 5 inch long Acro: As with the Zoa, this is going to depend entirely on what, exactly, the coral is. That's a fairly substantial colony; you could probably get 10-15 good-sized frags out of it if you cut it up, or you could sell it as-is (though the market for that isn't quite as good). If it's a nondescript green acro, you're probably looking $5-$10 per frag. If it's a Jason Fox Homewrecker, you're looking at $150-$200 per frag. The market for acros is like a supercharged version of the market for zoas.

Goni frag: Probably $20-$50 for this one depending on health, color morph and size. Larger colonies can get up into the hundreds of dollars.

4 head duncan: You can probably expect about $40-$75 for a 4-headed Duncan.

Ricordea frag: Depending on color, $15-$50 for this one.

Bubbletip Anemone: Probably $25-$200, depending on size, color morph, etc.

I wouldn't expect to get much for the rest of the inverts; they're not expensive at retail stores, so most people aren't looking to get them from other hobbyists. Maybe $40 for the lot.

For the equipment: Your MP40s are worth something, but expect to give a decent discount for people buying without the backing of a retail store. I'd sell the stand, tank, overflow and sump as a unit for $200. I might stretch it to $250 to start off with, but expect to go down to get it sold. I wouldn't even bother with the heater - I barely trust new-in-the-box heaters. The skimmer - expect 25% of whatever you paid for it, I don't recognize that brand. For your live rock, you can expect anywhere from $1/pound to $5/pound depending on what, if any, pests you have and how long they've been active in your tank.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back