Tank weight, pls help!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been thinking about building a tank. I want to do a length of 47” a width of 16” and a height of 17” giving 55.3 gallons of water.
A safety factor of 3 would require 7mm thick glass and would weigh 551.1736 lbs. when filled with water I’m worried about having this on a second floor... do you guys think I should be concerned? Is a special stand required for something like this?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be okay with that size tank . I usually want to know which way joists are going under the floor where I would position length of tank perpendicular to joists. That’s not a huge amount of weight though displaced on flooring for 2nd floor . I guess the only thing I would think an issue if home is very old ?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned myself, where were you planning on placing it? Do you know which way the joists are running? You could go with a standard 2x4 or plywood DIY stand of you wished, pretty easy to make :)

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned myself, where were you planning on placing it? Do you know which way the joists are running? You could go with a standard 2x4 or plywood DIY stand of you wished, pretty easy to make :)
I know there’s a wall under the floor I’m on that’s a couple feet from where I want to put the tank and is be parallel to where I plan to put the tank. And the tank would be a couple feet away and perpendicular to an outside wall, it’ll also be a few feet from an outside wall and parallel to that too. The house was built roughly twenty years ago I believe.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back