OP
SeaPirate

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is sound and will work. this is for sure a tank I would not expect to clear the classic 2 ppm of ammonia overnite even if on digital kits, its meant to carry slightly lower loads and that plan above will work above for sure.

hey on your next tank there's a far easier cycling method that may help when rocks + sand are ready for bringup:

use biospira, Dr Tims or fritz cycling bac the others are too slow although at this long they all cycle

input the bac amount per directions along with three pinches of finely ground up fish food powder any make any brand is fine

wait two weeks then its all cycled and can't not be cycled, no testing required, no big bumps of ammonia to clear. the breakdown of fish food provides all nutrients needed given the wait time allotted. that'll make next round so much easier and timely
Thank you! Since I have been out of this hobby for about 10 years and never did a fishless cycle, I wanted to learn with the smaller tank before I pulled the trigger on a larger on. Much has changed in 10 years so it’s almost like starting over. But I enjoy the learning process and appreciate the advice.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you also have very good local supports from that shop that's neat what they're doing with fish/ on the leading edge of trending for sure in the hobby.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I am preparing for my bigger reef tank, I have been setting up a 20 gallon tank with a hang off the back filter. This darn thing will not cycle after 11 weeks. Here's the run down:
  • Week 1:
    • Day 1: Started with 20 gallons of RODI Saltwater: Ammonia 0; Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Ph 8.4 Salinity 1.03, Temp 78, kh 12, Chlorine 0
    • Day 2: Added Fritz Zyme Fishless Fuel Ammonia and API Quick Start. (And continued to add according to instructions).
    • Day 3: Numbers: Ammonia 8, all other numbers same as above.
  • Week 2: No Change
  • Week 3: No Change
  • Week 4: No Change
  • Week 5: No change, so took water sample to local fish store. Their numbers were the same, so I knew I didn't have a testing problem. At the recommendation of the store, they suggested a water change to bring the Ammonia down. I did that all other parameters the same and ammonia cut to 2.0. Added more API Quick Start. and some fish flakes.
  • Week 6: Nitrite to .5 and Nitrate to 5, but no change in ammonia/
  • Week 7: Ammonia went to 1, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate.
  • Week 8: Ammonia back to 2, Nitrite and Nitrate both 0 (Very confusing because I did not change the water, only topped off with RODI).
  • Week 9: No change
  • Week 10: No Change, back to fish store. Their measurements the same. They gave me some bio media out of their tank and a bottle of their recommended bacteria (Seed). Put that in the tank and have been adding bacteria according to the instructions. They really expected me to see the tank cycle in a few days. (or at least start seeing ammonia going down and Nitrite/Nitrate going up)
  • We are mid- week 11 and all of the numbers are the same. (Note, as I think the salinity is a little low, I topped off with some saltwater today instead of RODI). I don't think that's going to change any of the other parameters. I'm just wanting to bring the salinity up a little closer to what my local fish store keeps theirs at.
I've never done a fishless cycle before. I've watched many videos and I just do not understand why this tank will not cycle or show any signs of reduced ammonia. Water is flowing through the hang on the back filter, and I've checked numbers in both the tank and the filter reservoir. Numbers are the same. I'm not new to the hobby, just new to fishless cycling.

This just does not seem normal to me. Any thoughts?
1. Which test are you using. Is '8' the highest number on the chart. If so your ammonia might have been 20. i.e. you may have initially overdosed) - which will not allow bacterial growth (Many of the bacteria manufacturers recommend 5 ppm or less.
2. If you're using API - you may be making a small error in the test - but 2 is quite high.
3. Something in the tank died. causing the temp ammonia rise?
4. what is your actual salinity. on the top you say '1.03'. Does that mean 1.003 - or 1.03? Salinity can affect the toxicity of ammonia to bacteria. What is your pH?

I haven't read @brandon429's response - but my guess is that your tank is 'cycled'. So the suggestions/questions are just possibilities that would be less common.

PS - I have not been a big fan of API Quickstart. Fritz would be my bacteria of choice. Hope this helps

EDIT - When I started typing - there were no response - so sorry if I repeated some of the advice the others left.

OP
OP
SeaPirate

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which test are you using. Is '8' the highest number on the chart. If so your ammonia might have been 20. i.e. you may have initially overdosed) - which will not allow bacterial growth (Many of the bacteria manufacturers recommend 5 ppm or less.
2. If you're using API - you may be making a small error in the test - but 2 is quite high.
3. Something in the tank died. causing the temp ammonia rise?
4. what is your actual salinity. on the top you say '1.03'. Does that mean 1.003 - or 1.03? Salinity can affect the toxicity of ammonia to bacteria. What is your pH?

I haven't read @brandon429's response - but my guess is that your tank is 'cycled'. So the suggestions/questions are just possibilities that would be less common.

PS - I have not been a big fan of API Quickstart. Fritz would be my bacteria of choice. Hope this helps

EDIT - When I started typing - there were no response - so sorry if I repeated some of the advice the others left.
1. Yes, API Saltwater Test kit. 8 was highest and I agree with you it could have been higher. I did 2 50% water changes to get it to 2. ( it was actually somewhere between 1 and 2, but closer to 2)

3. nothing died in the tank. It’s never had anything in it.

4. my log says 1.03 most recent was 1.025 after water changes mentioned. I just did about a 75% water changes after Brandon’s suggestion and will check salinity tomorrow. Shouldn’t salinity be between 1.020 and 1.027? I try to keep around 1.023-025 without chasing the numbers too much. Is this wrong?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Yes, API Saltwater Test kit. 8 was highest and I agree with you it could have been higher. I did 2 50% water changes to get it to 2. ( it was actually somewhere between 1 and 2, but closer to 2)

4. my log says 1.03 most recent was 1.025 after water changes mentioned. I just did about a 75% water changes after Brandon’s suggestion and will check salinity tomorrow. Shouldn’t salinity be between 1.020 and 1.027? I try to keep around 1.023-025 without chasing the numbers too much. Is this wrong?
I tend to keep it at 1.025-6.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am preparing for my bigger reef tank, I have been setting up a 20 gallon tank with a hang off the back filter. This darn thing will not cycle after 11 weeks. Here's the run down:
  • Week 1:
    • Day 1: Started with 20 gallons of RODI Saltwater: Ammonia 0; Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Ph 8.4 Salinity 1.03, Temp 78, kh 12, Chlorine 0
    • Day 2: Added Fritz Zyme Fishless Fuel Ammonia and API Quick Start. (And continued to add according to instructions).
    • Day 3: Numbers: Ammonia 8, all other numbers same as above.
  • Week 2: No Change
  • Week 3: No Change
  • Week 4: No Change
  • Week 5: No change, so took water sample to local fish store. Their numbers were the same, so I knew I didn't have a testing problem. At the recommendation of the store, they suggested a water change to bring the Ammonia down. I did that all other parameters the same and ammonia cut to 2.0. Added more API Quick Start. and some fish flakes.
  • Week 6: Nitrite to .5 and Nitrate to 5, but no change in ammonia/
  • Week 7: Ammonia went to 1, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate.
  • Week 8: Ammonia back to 2, Nitrite and Nitrate both 0 (Very confusing because I did not change the water, only topped off with RODI).
  • Week 9: No change
  • Week 10: No Change, back to fish store. Their measurements the same. They gave me some bio media out of their tank and a bottle of their recommended bacteria (Seed). Put that in the tank and have been adding bacteria according to the instructions. They really expected me to see the tank cycle in a few days. (or at least start seeing ammonia going down and Nitrite/Nitrate going up)
  • We are mid- week 11 and all of the numbers are the same. (Note, as I think the salinity is a little low, I topped off with some saltwater today instead of RODI). I don't think that's going to change any of the other parameters. I'm just wanting to bring the salinity up a little closer to what my local fish store keeps theirs at.
I've never done a fishless cycle before. I've watched many videos and I just do not understand why this tank will not cycle or show any signs of reduced ammonia. Water is flowing through the hang on the back filter, and I've checked numbers in both the tank and the filter reservoir. Numbers are the same. I'm not new to the hobby, just new to fishless cycling.

This just does not seem normal to me. Any thoughts?
Bad ammonia test or dead bottled bacteria. Personally experienced dud bacteria. BioSpira and Fritz Turbo Start are supercharged bacteria. Try these

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did the tank decor originate? Did you make the RODI? This cycle seems to defy all known processes, unless the water is toxic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back