Tanked bred vs wild fish

tommol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys im new to the hobby i am currently running a 260 litre marine tank and have been for a few months, i have 2 tanked bred false clowns and want to add more but the lfs i go to sell the fish i want only as wild caught, the question is can i mix the tank bread and wild fish together?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any reason you couldn't....if they are quarantined.

Are the existing clowns paired/adults? If so I don't know if I would try it in that size tank. A breeding pair will claim a space about the size of your tank as their own.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be any issues as long as they're QT'd.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, just quarantine the fish. I have a captive bred PJ Cardinal with a handful of other fish that are wild caught and they do fine. Captive bred tend to be more resistant to disease and in general adapt better to tank life, but there are plenty of wild caught that will do fine as well.

OP
OP
T

tommol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u for all the replys its very much appreciated, the lfs qts all its fish for 3 weeks b4 being sold

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple thoughts, even though this isn't necessarily a QT thread:

Not that others are suggesting the opposite, but I would still recommend QT for captive bred fish. They are often held with or close to other fishes, and can carry disease just like wild caught fishes.

Even though a LFS says they QT, it probably isn't a proper QT...unless they are charging double-triple the standard price.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they mix.

The main difference is origin.

Wild fish come from the ocean. Tank raised fish are bred by humans. Tank raised fish can be somewhat stronger, as they only know an aquarium environment. This means they are more apt for aquarium environments, the same goes for corals. However, this does not mean wild caught fish are not healthy, just they have a more difficult acclimation to tank life.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.2%
Back