Tankopalypse reviewed.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many weeks I’ve been disturbed, confused and heartbroken as most of my corals have slowly but steadily melted away into nothingness. Corals that I’ve had since before I moved from NY to CO are history. Corals that I got from multiple online weekend live sales...toast. Beautiful beasts from several great vendors including Cherry Corals, WWC, Aqua SD and Liveaquaria..and many more..gone.
Based on my testing and advice from helpful R2R members it was decided that the problem was low nutrients and high alk. So I worked hard on increasing those nitrate and phosphate numbers, decreasing alk. Adding nitrate supplements and increasing feeding.
Luckily someone, somewhere mentioned ICP testing...so a sample was sent off. But those results take weeks. In the meantime I continued to add nitrate supplements and feed 2-3 times a day.
Imagine my surprise when my ICP test revealed a nitrate of 122! And that was on sample sent 5-6 weeks before...since then I’d been adding nitrate and feeding lots, trying to get those numbers up! Turns out it was a bad Nyos test kit. It showed present but consistently low nitrate. A basic salifert test kit at my LFS came up greater than 100..probably WAY greater than 100.
So if yours truly would’ve taken the simple step of double checking that low nitrate with a different test kit...all this might’ve been avoided. Don’t that beat all!! My only defense is that, based on my research, Nyos is a top of the line test kit for nitrate. And well it may be, but I won’t make that mistake again, dangit!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many weeks I’ve been disturbed, confused and heartbroken as most of my corals have slowly but steadily melted away into nothingness. Corals that I’ve had since before I moved from NY to CO are history. Corals that I got from multiple online weekend live sales...toast. Beautiful beasts from several great vendors including Cherry Corals, WWC, Aqua SD and Liveaquaria..and many more..gone.
Based on my testing and advice from helpful R2R members it was decided that the problem was low nutrients and high alk. So I worked hard on increasing those nitrate and phosphate numbers, decreasing alk. Adding nitrate supplements and increasing feeding.
Luckily someone, somewhere mentioned ICP testing...so a sample was sent off. But those results take weeks. In the meantime I continued to add nitrate supplements and feed 2-3 times a day.
Imagine my surprise when my ICP test revealed a nitrate of 122! And that was on sample sent 5-6 weeks before...since then I’d been adding nitrate and feeding lots, trying to get those numbers up! Turns out it was a bad Nyos test kit. It showed present but consistently low nitrate. A basic salifert test kit at my LFS came up greater than 100..probably WAY greater than 100.
So if yours truly would’ve taken the simple step of double checking that low nitrate with a different test kit...all this might’ve been avoided. Don’t that beat all!! My only defense is that, based on my research, Nyos is a top of the line test kit for nitrate. And well it may be, but I won’t make that mistake again, dangit!

Sorry for your issues. Truly @$#!.

I've honestly gone back to "Old school reefing". If it looks healthy and it's growing, I don't change a thing.

Now sometime ago I switched salt to Fritz blue box as my salt was out of stock locally (IO). After several water changes with it I started having a large coral die off. I finally tested the new saltwater and found it was 15 dkh! I went back to IO right away and just kept doing my regular schedule of husbandry and things came back.

As long as I do my part with what works, I don't change a thing. I'm happy and my tank is happy, regardless of what test results I get.

Bad test kits, bad salt batches, bad RO/DI cartridges....etc can happen to anyone and I'm not immune as well.

All I can tell you is find that sweet spot that everything is okay and growing and don't ever change from that.

Here's to you having a full recovery and many years of success! Hang in there!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a heart-breaker :( Anyone who's been in the hobby for a while has likely run into an inaccurate test kit or two (I certainly have). Sucks, but it happens...

If there is a bright side, at least you were able to pin-point the issue. Some folks have had a tank's inhabitants wither away without ever figuring out what caused it and that truly is the worst case scenerio, IMO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back