Tanks with external overflows

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I’m in the market for a new tank around dec/Jan and I am trying to narrow down my choices

currently looking at planet aquarium crystalline reef pro with ext over flow

or IM EXT line.

question is. What are the pros and cons of the IM ext vs one like module marine.

quiet operation and reliability are most important.
Thanks

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have external but my next large custom tank will. Why do I want a external? I want more room.inside the aquarium for 1. And second, I like the idea of having a flat back panel. Downside it will force your tank to be further from the back wall because of the extra room it will take up. Probably need 6 inches from wall

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ok with having it off the wall. My main concern is how well the water flows into over flow vs in tank over flow and sound.
Also is the innovative marine one a better design then the synergy or modular marine. I also like having the back wall and corners free.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the benefit would be no plastic overflow inside. usually they are hard to scrape and get overgrown and patchy and take up space. there should be no difference in how loud either option is if setup correctly

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an external box, sound is only an issue if the display tank water line is higher than the waterline inside the overflow box. It creates a waterfall effect.

Some boxes are made with braced tanks in mind so the actual box sits lower than the water line which will cause some noise. Like this one:

1603601779619.png

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know the feeling. I fell in love with IM look and stand design. I have PTSD from a 55gallon bottom cracking on a stand that broke and shifted 20 years ago lol. My last tank had a corner overflow and I hated how i had to plan around it, and it was an eye sore from the side. I ordered IM 50 EXT. It will go in a wall with baseboard heater so there will be space between the tank and the wall anyways. the overflow sound if it's bean animal controlled by a gate valve to make sure air doesn't get sucked in should be silent and if it's not you know something is stuck in it

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an external box, sound is only an issue if the display tank water line is higher than the waterline inside the overflow box. It creates a waterfall effect.

Some boxes are made with braced tanks in mind so the actual box sits lower than the water line which will cause some noise. Like this one:

1603601779619.png
Thank you that makes sense.
how about cleaning? I notice alloy of company’s are making the slots removable for cleaning. The IM ones are part of the back glass and can’t be removed. Do you see this being an issue?

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know the feeling. I fell in love with IM look and stand design. I have PTSD from a 55gallon bottom cracking on a stand that broke and shifted 20 years ago lol. My last tank had a corner overflow and I hated how i had to plan around it, and it was an eye sore from the side. I ordered IM 50 EXT. It will go in a wall with baseboard heater so there will be space between the tank and the wall anyways. the overflow sound if it's bean animal controlled by a gate valve to make sure air doesn't get sucked in should be silent and if it's not you know something is stuck in it
I’m looking at the ext 150 which is more budget friendly. And the ext 170. I like the look of stand but would actually prefer wood. If I could do a IM tank on a planet stand that would be ideal.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that makes sense.
how about cleaning? I notice alloy of company’s are making the slots removable for cleaning. The IM ones are part of the back glass and can’t be removed. Do you see this being an issue?

just FYI the back of IM is actually acrylic laid over the glass back that has a notch in it. cleaning overflow grate on the inside is just as easy as any acrylic surface with an acrylic tank scraper or sponge

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just FYI the back of IM is actually acrylic laid over the glass back that has a notch in it. cleaning overflow grate on the inside is just as easy as any acrylic surface with an acrylic tank scraper or sponge

I feel like I remember reading that but forgot I have looked at every tank company from assembly line to custom over the last month. It’s all starting to blur.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back