Tap vs ro vs rodi

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you linked is another RO system. If you mean the DI expansion for this then yes. But seriously, get the BRS or another standard 10” canister system. It’s better, lasts longer, and is standardized meaning cheaper in the long run.

This isn’t the area to cheap out on.

+1

It may cost more to start out with the 10” canister system but you will thank yourself when it comes time to replace the filters.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long story short I have had my tank up for about three months using tap water. Since I haven’t run into any major problems does this mean that the tap water in my area is safe to use or do I still need to get a water filter. I have found a ro unit for about $60 and I know rodi is better but I really don’t want to pay the extra $100 is a ro unit good enough if I have to upgrade?

They can both work IME. I've used tap water for about 18 years now in the same spot without any problems. I think the last TDS reading was like 160 or something. (I've seen it as low as 46) About a year ago I had a good job and purchased a 3 stage RO/DI unit from BRS. (scientific purposes) So far I couldn't be happier, but the only thing I'm not noticing is the occasional dusting of Diatoms on the glass and the sand. Everything else doesn't seem to mind. What really amazes me now is all the threads where people are using RO/DI water but they're still having some of the same problems that tend to accompany bad tap water. Pure water is key, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot more to it than that. Some people have a hard time keeping their shoe laces tied much or less set up and maintain a healthy reef tank for years on end. GL.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/chemistry

Last edited:

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 8.22.25 PM.png

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BRS 6 stage RODI deluxe system. Highly highly recommend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back