RO vs RODI

praveen85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, total new to this hobby and the form. In planning phases of my reefing venture. My question is regarding RODI vs RO water. I have an RO system at home which we use and maintain. Anybody used just RO water in their tank. Or should I get the water from Local Fish store. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, total new to this hobby and the form. In planning phases of my reefing venture. My question is regarding RODI vs RO water. I have an RO system at home which we use and maintain. Anybody used just RO water in their tank. Or should I get the water from Local Fish store. Thanks
RO known as reverse osmosis cleans up impurities whereas Rodi which is reverse osmosis deionized water removes impurities from water by sending it through a membrane.

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really all depends on what the TDS is coming out of your home RO system. My RO system can get me down to 5ppm. The add of DI gets me down to 0.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome, a stand alone rodi unit at home is the easiest way to go. You will get tired of running to the lfs and getting your water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that RO alone is almost always adequate, but the emphasis is on almost. Unless you send the water out for testing, you won't know.

The issues to be most concerned with, IMO, are excessive levels of:

1. Ammonia from chloramine
2. silicate
3. copper from your own pipes
4. phosphate

Some of each of those are fine. High levels are not.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody can know until you test your water. In Missouri, our tap had a TDS near 400 and after RO was about 30-40 TDS over time and I felt like I needed DI resin. Here in Colorado, our tap is about 20-25 and after just RO is about 1 or 2 TDS. I go ahead and use DI resin now because it lasts years. :)

The thing with TDS is that it just give you a number. If you get TDS of 10 and it is all salt, then who cares, right? If it is all arsenic, then that could be a problem.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to find detailed water reports from your city/whatever water supply company. In my area they make annual reports with lots of details.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give a call to Air Water Ice, or the like, and tell them that you want to add DI to your RO. They should be able to hook you up with a bag of resin, cansiter and all of the fittings - you will want to T it off of your normal RO so that you don't use the DI to cook or drink.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back