Tap water nitrate 10ppm, do i need RODI filter?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, anything but the tap. Are the phosphates high too?

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it like baking/cooking. Running RO/DI is like doing making food with clean utensils, not doing so is like cutting raw chicken, and then a cake. Something is getting through.

robdareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would definitely use RO/DI. It's not just nitrates it's about getting out that TDS. There's worse things in tap water then Nitrates.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need RODI. You have a significant nitrate contamination in your water. I bet you have other contaminants. I would bet that your water has significant phosphate contamination and copper contamination is also very common. Also tap water can contain low levels of drugs and pesticides. RODI takes care of all sorts of potential problems.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need RODI. You have a significant nitrate contamination in your water. I bet you have other contaminants. I would bet that your water has significant phosphate contamination and copper contamination is also very common. Also tap water can contain low levels of drugs and pesticides. RODI takes care of all sorts of potential problems.

Where do I go to get drugs in my tap?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd skip the RO stage and run one sediment, two carbon blocks and a 3 stage DI filter. Assuming your TDS is 10 and not JUST nitrates... as others have mentioned, there are a multitude of other elements in your water other than nitrates so teste the TDS of your water first.

Last edited:

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I go to get drugs in my tap?

check out your municipal water report. You'd be surprised what they test for and what shows up. Corals are very sensitive to a lot of elements and compounds that make it into tap water. For example, copper can easily be in safe levels in tap water but at levels fatal to corals.

Also, since salt mixes contain the trace elements at desirable levels, the addition of them in tap could make them elevated.

It's not just N&Ps you want scrubbed. Corals are not cheap and while you might be able to use tap water, without a test like ICP, it's a russian roulette game with what likely be a significant investment.

A simple portable $99 rodi and $20 TDS meter and your are golden. Filters should last a year or two, and the TDS meter will let you know for sure when to replace.

my review on my 5 year old Reverse Osmosis Revolution RODI reading 0 TDS with one year old filters

[/QUOTE]

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back