Tap water quality?

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving money to build a tank setup and already bounced some ideas here, I was having my well water tested anyway and got the results back, would it be ok to use the water with the following parameters to mix ocean salt mix into? I have a background in chem but don't know what is or isn't good for fish:
Lead(ppb) n/a
Copper(ppb) n/a
Trihalomethanes/haloacetic acids(ppb) n/a
Total chlorine(ppm)>0.5
Nickel(ppb)n/a
Nitrate(ppm) 10
Sodium(ppm) 39
pH 7.45
Total hardness( CaCO3, ppm) 215
Iron(ppm) 0.03
Manganese(ppm) 0.19

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you could solve your Chlorine issue with De-clor (Sodium Thiosulfate) You could technically use your well water. Generally you would want to use a RODI system to "Start from zero" and then add. Since it is well water, that usually has a bunch of Co2 in it that you have to outgas before you run it thru a filter system. It is an extra step, but at least you do not have to deal with Chloramines from city water.

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you could solve your Chlorine issue with De-clor (Sodium Thiosulfate) You could technically use your well water. Generally you would want to use a RODI system to "Start from zero" and then add. Since it is well water, that usually has a bunch of Co2 in it that you have to outgas before you run it thru a filter system. It is an extra step, but at least you do not have to deal with Chloramines from city water.
I typed the wrong symbol how is less than 0.5 ppm a chlorine issue?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have chlorine in well water unless someone decides to "shock" it by tossing in some chlorine tablets.

I would still use RO though...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving money to build a tank setup and already bounced some ideas here, I was having my well water tested anyway and got the results back, would it be ok to use the water with the following parameters to mix ocean salt mix into? I have a background in chem but don't know what is or isn't good for fish:
Lead(ppb) n/a
Copper(ppb) n/a
Total chlorine(ppm)>0.5
Nickel(ppb)n/a
Nitrate(ppm) 10
Sodium(ppm) 39
pH 7.45
Iron(ppm) 0.03
Manganese(ppm) 0.19
There are so many things that can go wrong with a reef tank because of things that you cannot control.

It would be very unwise to start a tank using tap water, when that is one thing you can control by using a good RODI system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The possible concerns as I see them are the hardness (calcium or magnesium), which may continually push these up when used for top off or water changes. That is at least worth monitoring.

I don’t know if 190 ppb manganese is a tox concern, but it is quite a bit higher than normal seawater.

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have chlorine in well water unless someone decides to "shock" it by tossing in some chlorine tablets.

I would still use RO though...
I just did two days before the test, it is usually undetectable.

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The possible concerns as I see them are the hardness (calcium or magnesium), which may continually push these up when used for top off or water changes. That is at least worth monitoring.

I don’t know if 190 ppb manganese is a tox concern, but it is quite a bit higher than normal seawater.
That was a bit of a concern, my water has enough calcium dissolved to have a slight opacity, I think the Manganese is fine. Would cheap coral before any fish take care of the calcium issue?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lead(ppb) n/a
Copper(ppb) n/a
Total chlorine(ppm)>0.5
Nickel(ppb)n/a
Nitrate(ppm) 10
Sodium(ppm) 39
pH 7.45
Iron(ppm) 0.03
Manganese(ppm) 0.19
RO systems are relatively inexpensive today, so I would not take the chance if it were me. Just get yourself an RO or RODI system and then you KNOW you are good. To me at least, the amount of money, time, and most importantly LIFE we put into our mini reefs, any risk we can avoid, is a great thing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a bit of a concern, my water has enough calcium dissolved to have a slight opacity, I think the Manganese is fine. Would cheap coral before any fish take care of the calcium issue?

I think you’ll have to see what levels you get in the tank. It may work out to mostly just add alk.

OP
OP
NickNH

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The township said that on the report, but it does seem a bit off to me too.
EPA levels are below 15ppb is fine, but apparently there are some testing methodologies that can detect down to parts per trillion range

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back