Tap water

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one, i live in panama and we have just ONE LFS in the WHOLE country, and they charge $10.00 for 5 gal of salted water, the most I could do is get Distilled water from the supermarket which cost like 2 bucks for 5 gal and the take it to the LFS so they can sell me some salt, (i know, i know, i gotta start getting my own equipment)

Can you get fresh seawater?

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with tap water is that many contaminants are difficult to test for. There are the obvious problems of heavy metals: copper, lead, arsenic and mercury. Then there are things like nitrates and phosphates. On top of that, there is the possibility of herbicide or insecticide contamination.

Since we use fresh water for top off water in reef aquariums any contamination will become more concentrated over time.

Now, if you have a very pure local water and you routinely do large water changes, you might get by.

A good RODI system will virtually eliminate the whole issue and it only works out to around $.2 per gallon.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your water is way contaminated, don’t see a problem using tap for initial fill for starting the cycle.
The nutrient will help the cycle, and as for other metals and whatnot, run carbon. Good to go

After that use rodi

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost for RO/DI is not that high after the initial purchase of the unit. You may pay $150 - $200 USD for a system up front, but that's a one-time cost, unlike getting water from your fish store or the grocery store every time you need it. If you replace the prefilters every six months and the membrane once every three years, your unit will only cost you about $4.30 USD to operate (assuming prefilters cost $20 and a membrane costs $35). That figure doesn't include DI resin, but it's a good enough figure for rough planning.

People have used tap water before and for some, it has worked. The problem is the unknowns. The quality of the water that comes out of your tap is far from constant. Many people spend upwards of a thousand USD on a single aquarium. Many corals cost upwards of $100 USD each. To most aquarists, saving $150 up front and $4/month for filters is not worth it if the thousands of dollars they put into their aquariums is at risk as a result. The reason hobbyists almost universally use deionized water in the hobby is because it's cheap insurance.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your water is way contaminated, don’t see a problem using tap for initial fill for starting the cycle.
The nutrient will help the cycle, and as for other metals and whatnot, run carbon. Good to go

After that use rodi

Per Randy Holmes-Farley's article on soluble metals, the efficacy of activated carbon at exporting metals is relatively unknown. That doesn't mean that carbon can't remove soluble metals, but it's far from a guarantee.

Additionally, "nutrient" in tap water will not help with the cycle unless the nutrient is ammonia or ammonium. These are unlikely to be present in high quantities in drinkable tap water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After that use rodi

What evidence do you have that carbon will remove copper from seawater?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After that use rodi

I'm sorry, this is nothing more than opinion, and uneducated opinion at that. To reiterate what Mr. Randy Holmes-Farley stated, what supporting evidence do you have to back up your statement "Good to go" other than anecdotal experience? I dont want to come off as picking on you, but someone may come misinterpret your opinion as fact.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, carbon is not very good at removing dissolved organics
Have cycled tanks with tap water dozens of times. Using water from Long Island, which is pretty hi tds in some locals, as well as with nyc water. Have had zero issues and great results. Have never started with identical tanks, with and without tap, so can’t speak to that.

Have also heard thousands of times how once you run copper in a tank for treatment, that’s it. When in reality regular water changes and running carbon and/or other means of copper removal gets the tank ready for coral in 6-12 months. As confirmed with copper testing

While i’m Sure Randy is aware, there is copper in natural sea water

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh, i believe Feldman found activated carbon only removes around 80% of docs
Yup, and there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary. Even less evidence, on either side, as to what levels corals need as compared to where it becomes harmful, and/or how they respond given all the other variables.

Nobody knows. That’s one of the things that makes this hobby so enjoyable. And now with internet and the ability to freely share info, one of the reasons the hobby has seen massive improvement. With ppl from all over being able to share their experience

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so at the end of the day...i ended up buying the water from mu lfs, i didnt want to risk anything.. i already set up the tank but now im having issues with the skimmer
Idk if its because its just new or if something is wrong with it or i didnt set it up right

68584FFE-F703-49EA-98A0-DAB03F4DAAAD.jpeg

6B020A57-35DE-4B8A-84A3-9FAFE2B478EE.jpeg

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joel Jordan it might be best to start another thread for the skimmer issue. My guess is it is just a setup issue. Be sure to include model and what you've done in terms of setup to help others help you.

As to the RO/DI water vs tap. I would lean towards RO/DI. I've had luck/success with tap, but I feel it's best to start from a known position. Meaning when (not if) an issue arrises in the tank at least you know you have a good starting place and can troubleshoot and diagnose from there. As opposed to always having the lingering question of "did something change in my tap water?".

Understanding that the prices are steeper where you are. Have you done the math to see what the cost comparison is? By that I mean pricing out the three following options:

1. Buying pre-mixed from the LFS
2. Buying DI from the market, then buying salt and mixing yourself
3. Buying RO/DI unit and buying salt and mixing yourself

It might be that while the initial cost is steeper for the third option, you'll come out ahead after using the system for 3-6 months.

OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joel Jordan it might be best to start another thread for the skimmer issue. My guess is it is just a setup issue. Be sure to include model and what you've done in terms of setup to help others help you.

As to the RO/DI water vs tap. I would lean towards RO/DI. I've had luck/success with tap, but I feel it's best to start from a known position. Meaning when (not if) an issue arrises in the tank at least you know you have a good starting place and can troubleshoot and diagnose from there. As opposed to always having the lingering question of "did something change in my tap water?".

Understanding that the prices are steeper where you are. Have you done the math to see what the cost comparison is? By that I mean pricing out the three following options:

1. Buying pre-mixed from the LFS
2. Buying DI from the market, then buying salt and mixing yourself
3. Buying RO/DI unit and buying salt and mixing yourself

It might be that while the initial cost is steeper for the third option, you'll come out ahead after using the system for 3-6 months.
Yea i already decided im going to buy the RODI system, its too much of a hassle and an expense to buy water every weekend, i even heard ppl use the water that comes out of the A/C pipes

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so at the end of the day...i ended up buying the water from mu lfs, i didnt want to risk anything.. i already set up the tank but now im having issues with the skimmer
Idk if its because its just new or if something is wrong with it or i didnt set it up right

Is this the first time you've run the skimmer? If so, it'll probably need to "break in" for a bit, its also typically recommended to run them in a vinegar and water solution just in case there is any residual manufacturing grease, grime or other materials. You'd be surprised how the smallest amount of X can throw (at least small) skimmers for a loop. Try super glueing two rocks together with the skimmer running and watch what happens.

I'd run the skimmer high/wet for the next few days and see if things begin to look better. It took about a week for my skimmer to really start to find its groove.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS charging $10 for 5 gallons? That must include the jugs they want to sell you with the water. That is nuts if it is just for the water and hopefully not the case.

As far as ANY distiller to produce the copious amounts for aquariums; $$$$ Cheaper to buy a good RODI unit. Even with a booster pump is the fraction of the cost of a proper distiller for a decent volume at a time. I actually considered buying an industrial distiller, but I figured for the several grand, I could buy several RODI units. haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first time you've run the skimmer? If so, it'll probably need to "break in" for a bit, its also typically recommended to run them in a vinegar and water solution just in case there is any residual manufacturing grease, grime or other materials. You'd be surprised how the smallest amount of X can throw (at least small) skimmers for a loop. Try super glueing two rocks together with the skimmer running and watch what happens.

I'd run the skimmer high/wet for the next few days and see if things begin to look better. It took about a week for my skimmer to really start to find its groove.
I have the little vent window as low is it can be so its getting alot of water flow, and yea it cleaned with vinegar before i installed it

OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS charging $10 for 5 gallons? That must include the jugs they want to sell you with the water. That is nuts if it is just for the water and hopefully not the case.
Hahaha unluckily my friend its just for the salted water, thats what happens when you are the only LFS in the WHOLE country

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha unluckily my friend its just for the salted water, thats what happens when you are the only LFS in the WHOLE country

I'd carry my happy self to the grocery store and buy some distilled water and bucket of salt...wow and shame on the LFS.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back