Tap water

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for that price, you can go to Petco and buy good NSW from Catalina until you decide which route you wish to go.

2426291-center-1.jpeg

Ctg0209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first time you've run the skimmer? If so, it'll probably need to "break in" for a bit, its also typically recommended to run them in a vinegar and water solution just in case there is any residual manufacturing grease, grime or other materials. You'd be surprised how the smallest amount of X can throw (at least small) skimmers for a loop. Try super glueing two rocks together with the skimmer running and watch what happens.

I'd run the skimmer high/wet for the next few days and see if things begin to look better. It took about a week for my skimmer to really start to find its groove.
+1 when I was breaking in my skimmer I just ran it as high as I could and took the lid off and just let it over flow for a couple of days. It’s amazing how a little bit of the manufacturing oil can throw it off. Come to think of it my sump was brand new as well and had issues with the water foaming up coming from the dt. Had to break in the sump and skinner separately.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 30 full water changes on my large fw tank using tap, no harm, I had a rascal yesterday run to report. All I can guess is they must have powered up the chlorine I don't know, never really needed test kits so it's my assumption but after a totally routine change -6 neons they looked dazed, contaminated somehow, but all other fish were normal. Floated dead/stunned to the top within 30 seconds after change. Never happened in roughly my thirty years of water change technique...the infrequency of death using the same kind of water change across all my systems narrows this event down to water poisoned somehow/risk of the large volume water change. It needs to be darn reliable sourcing that's for sure, if one changes large percentages

Instantly stricken but only the six weaker smaller ones it seems and during the event I added some freshwater thiosulfate condtnr and the event seemed to stop. About thirty mixed amano and cherry shrimp are running in tow none died, I'd have expected shrimp to go first. I think the whole tank got a chlorine shock and the strongest survived

What seemed to stop the event was this one time extra addition of water chlorine conditioner. /anger at loss of 1/3 of my swirling ball of neons. I didn't let this water age/circulate with the conditioner as long as usual, but this duration had also been used before with no loss. Each sign keeps pointing back at the tap and a rare for my area blast of something.

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 30 full water changes on my large fw tank using tap, no harm, I had a rascal yesterday run to report. All I can guess is they must have powered up the chlorine I don't know, never really needed test kits so it's my assumption but after a totally routine change -6 neons they looked dazed, contaminated somehow, but all other fish were normal. Floated dead/stunned to the top within 30 seconds after change. Never happened in roughly my thirty years of water change technique...the infrequency of death using the same kind of water change across all my systems narrows this event down to water poisoned somehow/risk of the large volume water change. It needs to be darn reliable sourcing that's for sure, if one changes large percentages

Instantly stricken but only the six weaker smaller ones it seems and during the event I added some freshwater thiosulfate condtnr and the event seemed to stop. About thirty mixed amano and cherry shrimp are running in tow none died, I'd have expected shrimp to go first. I think the whole tank got a chlorine shock and the strongest survived

What seemed to stop the event was this one time extra addition of water chlorine conditioner. /anger at loss of 1/3 of my swirling ball of neons.

Arg. Good thing you were on top of it. I tip my hat to you, good sir.

I frequently request water reports of the area water and I'm shocked by some reports I've seen. Especially after heavy rains lasting some time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still must use tap due water due to convenience, but now on all changes aged 24 hours plus boost n a quarter of conditioner / ballpark it still yet~ possibly one more felled call would prompt a water station rental or purchase
tap's last chance ha

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back