Target Mandarin Pair

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Zack K, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

What are your guys thoughts on adding a male to my already female Target Mandarin. l really love these little guys and was looking into possible a male to pair up. l have a 55gallon but pods are added monthly. My female is eating LRS and RODS, and is fat and happy.

Tags:

2. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Haven't tried her with a male target, but my own female target mandy was pretty savage when I tried to add a green mandarin pair to my 65. Yours might be more appreciative of a potential boyfriend.

~Bruce

JoshH, eatbreakfast and Zack K like this.
  3. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

So I finally found one and he was added Friday. At first, he went down and settled into a large cave on the opposite side of the tank of the female. As he took a few minutes to kinda settle in and realize where he was, the female cane briskly across the sand bed right over to him, and like a curious dog peered over the rock and swam around him turning her head. She eventually took to him and they are together now. Thanks for the story Bruce. IMG_0792.JPG

Naoxyn, Rispa, Vincent100 and 3 others like this.
  4. ae87

ae87 Member

20 min until I introduce my male target to my female...was seeing if there was a trick to it, but I guess we just see what happens! Fingers crossed! :)

Zack K likes this.
  5. Skynyrd Fish

Skynyrd Fish Active Member

my purple tang picked mine up and shook it. It died 2 days later. If you have any aggressive fish turn the lights out when you add him.

Zack K likes this.
  6. ae87

ae87 Member

That is so sad! I’m so sorry to hear that! I’ve been so patiently waiting to find the perfect mate. I didn’t want to “special order” him, told myself when the time was right it would happen.
    I feel like it went as good as it could last night for me. During acclimation they noticed each other. Upon releasing him, he swam right to her...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He laid on the sand and let her inspect him. She checked him out, swam a few circles around him, and even tested his boundaries with a jump or two towards him...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She showed him around the place a bit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Introduced some family...
    [​IMG]

And ended the night with some cuddles :)
    [​IMG]

One of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced.

I hope you give it another shot one day! :)

Naoxyn, JoshH, Maritimer and 5 others like this.
  7. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Have they done the spawning dance yet?

Oh, make sure to have a lid. Lol.

ae87 and Zack K like this.
  8. ae87

ae87 Member

The twirly vortex?! No. I haven’t seen THAT yet. I think they’re still in the dating phase

These guys too?? So many jumpers out there! LOL!

Zack K and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  9. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Lol. I had a couple of ruby reds. It somtimes got ,um, acrobatic. Lol.

Naoxyn, JoshH, Zack K and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sonnyred

Sonnyred Member

Is it just me or does anyone think that it’s weird that the target are so small in size compared to the normal mandarins. I’ve yet to see a decent big size target. If you have one post them up so I can see lol

Zack K, ae87 and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  11. Zack K

My male was as big as a Common Mandarin. Females are generally small yes.

ae87 likes this.
  12. Sonnyred

Sonnyred Member

That’s just awesome. I’ve just never been able to witness such size. Maybe one day I can grow mine to be so lol. Now I know it’s possible. Didn’t know if they were just dwarf lol

Zack K and ae87 like this.
  13. ae87

ae87 Member

Interesting! My female was the smallest I could find. I like watching them grow from babes, but for the male I knew he had to be bigger for her to like him :) I’ll keep this in the back of my mind and update with size later on...

Zack K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted