Taylor T, remember this pic?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"How many of these bad boys do you have now? Have any died? If so what do you think happened?"

Yes I remember that pic. Nice over saturated pic you made. Still have all 6 in that pic. Here's a pic from just now, just dirty glass, and less (or more) corals depending on what you're looking at...

As you can see (or can't) cleaning is a problem lately. But all the above gigs are super healthy and happy. Tank is always dirty though.

I also bought all Pete's gigs. He's out. I bought his 5 from him last (Nov or Dec approx?) So in the 210 I had 6 gigs, 1 mertens, and 1 malu. Flow/cleaning has been a chore with this tank. I re-homed his "yellow" (green) gig to a local a couple months ago, it needed TLC and I don't have the time. That local did a great job, just talked to him last week. Now what's left in the 210 is 1 mertens, 5 gigs, and 1 malu. I just listed the 210 anemone's for sale yesterday on RC in the CMAS Chicago forum. I'm hoping to close the 210 down next year, but the large difficult anemones need a home first.
Here's a pic from now.

And a side view.

They don't look happy. I think I've done (2 or 3) 5 gallon waterchanged the past few months. On 250ish gallons, that's not nearly enough. They don't like their water.

Drive that nice new truck of yours up and get yourself some anemones.... :)[/QUOTE]

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that carpet tank is awesome!!
Thanks! I cleaned up my glass for you. Just did a 5 gallon water change!!!! Whoooo Hoooooo they scream!

You can see the crud that grows everywhere.

I've had these blues a couple years now. I don't know if you can see, but they have shade shifted. No longer solid blue like they used to be, now have a green tint to them.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's insane, guess a sign that they love your water chemistry! I saw your post on rc and got excited thinking I can buy one until I read the end of the post :(.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taylor, I need a big blue. I want Goliath!

You have me number, call me. I'm gonna text Minh and Antonio. Don't sell the Green's or Blues. We'll take them off your hands. I'm gonna figure something out. I may drive it. Or fly it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! There are not many that I know of that have had several giganteas over an extenbed period.

Have you ever experienced spawning of more than one at a time, potentially allowing for offspring?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! There are not many that I know of that have had several giganteas over an extenbed period.

Have you ever experienced spawning of more than one at a time, potentially allowing for offspring?

Taylor told me that he's had what he was sure to be a spawn, but it was so small that they got blown with the current and lost. Something along those lines.

If somebody could record a spawning event, that would be ground breaking. :)

I'm trying to get several stable for this to occur.

I think if this were to happen, Minh will be the one to document it. Pete has gave all his gigs away and looks like Taylor is getting out too.

Minh has the next best stable tank with 4 Gigantea's in it. Really stable tank!

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks! I've seen a few small ones. Very small. After I catch them, the longest I've gotten them to live is about a week. They don't attach, flow is a big issue. Finding them is tough, and catching even tougher. There is massive flow in the tank. By the time the pumps get turned off, can't find them. When I don't feed them, and the skimmer overflows the next morning, I know something's going on.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taylor told me that he's had what he was sure to be a spawn, but it was so small that they got blown with the current and lost. Something along those lines.

If somebody could record a spawning event, that would be ground breaking. :)

I'm trying to get several stable for this to occur.

I think if this were to happen, Minh will be the one to document it. Pete has gave all his gigs away and looks like Taylor is getting out too.

Minh has the next best stable tank with 4 Gigantea's in it. Really stable tank!

I'm not getting out. I want' to make a different system and put it where my 210 is. That's why only some of my 210 gigs are for sale. If they don't sell, I will keep them and use in the next gig set up. Mertensii takes up too much room, and getting flow right in a 210 for so many gigs is almost impossible. They all live yes, but not thriving. I need a smaller system to control flow easier. I'm also planning on dumping my overflows into a "catch tank" where I can slow the flow and scan it for little ones before it dumps into the skimmer sump. I need to move the 210 first, and that will take time. My target is next year to start a new gig build. 75 gallons for me is perfect, I can do flow really well with this size, but I want to build a new set up differently.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS from tonight. I'm using (2) mp40's on high, an mj1200 and an mj900 behind the rocks.

The gigs in this tank are in awesome condition.
I normally don't use screens.

I don't know why they show up so bleached looking. They're not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back