Taylor T, remember this pic?

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the 210 gigs. They look good in pics, but in person, I can tell all of them aren't as "strong" as the other tank.

Check out this purple. It's one of the stronger gigs in this tank (feeding response wise and speed of reset), but the tents are all fat and misshaped on the upper part. They've taken on a curly Q pattern, just like my malu that some have suggested is a LTA because of the tent shape. As I look really close at all my gigs, all of them have a corkscrew shape to them. None of the 75 gigs have anything close to a corkscrew shape anywhere on them. All it tells me is the 210 water isn't very good, or merts isn't playing nice.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell. I wonder why?

Do 10% water change every 2 days until they perk up.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon in that tank?

What's different from the other tank? Algae, GFO, dosing, PO4, NO3, fish, lighting, etc...

Something is not right.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderful thread. Thank you for sharing both your photos and your input/information on health/ flow needs, etc. I think everyone is mesmerized by anemones and particularly the beautiful carpets. So truly special to see a tank with so many beauties

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderful thread. Thank you for sharing both your photos and your input/information on health/ flow needs, etc. I think everyone is mesmerized by anemones and particularly the beautiful carpets. So truly special to see a tank with so many beauties

Taylor has definetely had and kept long term- more colored Gigantea's than anybody I know. Very cool to see a tank with so many stable gigs.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running carbon in that tank?

What's different from the other tank? Algae, GFO, dosing, PO4, NO3, fish, lighting, etc...

Something is not right.

No carbon.
No filter socks.
No GFO.
No reactors of any kind.
No nothing.

The differences are:
210 has a 20 long remote deep sand bed. 75 does not.
210 has refugium. 75 does not.
210 gets less water changes (% wise) maybe 5% vs. 15%? (guessing)

Both use the same RO water source.
Both use same amount of B-ionic, which I find strange being 3x the volume.
Both have same values (oops, this isn't good. SG 1.028 KH7ish CA320) Working on raisingall this. Product of neglect. I know, I know.

Manual and dosing pumps add B-ionic 2-part every day.
Manual Mag added when low, last month was 1250 ish I think. Now it's around 1500, so I'll lay off the mag.
Both bare bones. Overflow, skimmer, return.

Flame away, I know. Life gets busy sometimes. Just goes to show, gigs can be resilient if healthy. What's wrong? I'm toooo dang busy!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taylor has definetely had and kept long term- more colored Gigantea's than anybody I know. Very cool to see a tank with so many stable gigs.
I'm not the only one. I would think we start seeing more and more multigig tanks now that cipro and septra have made a difference.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've noticed is that you have minimal fish. The other is that you've always kept things very simple. For this reason, I believe that stability has kept ur tanks stable and the Gigantea's alive all this time.

So the only real difference I see between the two tanks is water quality. Just that small percentage can make a huge difference.

Now for my big question. Would you be so kind as to test the water on the 75/G where all the Gigantea's are super strong. I'm extremely interested in seeing some real raw- not sugar coated results. The only two values that have me very interested are the PO4 and NO3. Would it be possible to test and post some pics of the results here?

BTW, I agree....shut down the 210. Focus on the 75/G or vice versa. One tank is plenty. If two tanks, I'm fixing to do a small 10-40/G AIO tank. How many gallons I'm not sure yet. However, it will be a secondary DT that's super easy to run and maintain and provide a place to QT or Watch sick and new arrivals.

No carbon.
No filter socks.
No GFO.
No reactors of any kind.
No nothing.

The differences are:
210 has a 20 long remote deep sand bed. 75 does not.
210 has refugium. 75 does not.
210 gets less water changes (% wise) maybe 5% vs. 15%? (guessing)

Both use the same RO water source.
Both use same amount of B-ionic, which I find strange being 3x the volume.
Both have same values (oops, this isn't good. SG 1.028 KH7ish CA320) Working on raisingall this. Product of neglect. I know, I know.

Manual and dosing pumps add B-ionic 2-part every day.
Manual Mag added when low, last month was 1250 ish I think. Now it's around 1500, so I'll lay off the mag.
Both bare bones. Overflow, skimmer, return.

Flame away, I know. Life gets busy sometimes. Just goes to show, gigs can be resilient if healthy. What's wrong? I'm toooo dang busy!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sold a ton of them. A lot have passed. Lost just about all of them on my move. I'm building back my army now.
Sorry to hear your loss in moving. Good to hear you're selling them once you stabilize them. Stabilizing them can be a challenge for sure.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've noticed is that you have minimal fish. The other is that you've always kept things very simple. For this reason, I believe that stability has kept ur tanks stable and the Gigantea's alive all this time.

So the only real difference I see between the two tanks is water quality. Just that small percentage can make a huge difference.

Now for my big question. Would you be so kind as to test the water on the 75/G where all the Gigantea's are super strong. I'm extremely interested in seeing some real raw- not sugar coated results. The only two values that have me very interested are the PO4 and NO3. Would it be possible to test and post some pics of the results here?

BTW, I agree....shut down the 210. Focus on the 75/G or vice versa. One tank is plenty. If two tanks, I'm fixing to do a small 10-40/G AIO tank. How many gallons I'm not sure yet. However, it will be a secondary DT that's super easy to run and maintain and provide a place to QT or Watch sick and new arrivals.

My results aren't "sugar coated", they just tend to bounce quickly all over the place when they get neglected due to schedule and demands. So they can drop quick if I don't dose on time. I agree, water quality is less than ideal (in both tanks, just the 75 seems to thrive for some reason). I manual top off, pumps broke. I manual dose, auto dose pumps don't dose enough. So, here you go!

Phosphate is same color as it comes out of test bottle. Looks dead nuts zero to me.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 53 65.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back