TB Saltwater live rock worm ID (ITS SO LONG!)

edmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second worm I saw like this. Looks almost like a bristle worm but it’s not a bristle worm. Anyone know what it is? I attached the video link below.

OP
OP
E

edmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it may be some sort of eunicid similar to the one I posted the other day, but this one has a smooth round head (maybe that’s where it keeps it teeth tucked in?). And after watching the video back I noticed it might be eating something, possibly an amphipod since they’re abundant in my tank. I read club soda works to remove them from the rock so I will be trying that.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@ISpeakForTheSeas any idea what this could be?​

It's definitely a polychaete of some kind, but I can't quite see it clearly enough for a proper ID.

Closer up pics particularly of the head from the top and of the parts where the bristles come out (both from the side and top, if possible) would be helpful.

I'd guess it's from the order Phyllodocida, but that's a guess at this point, and not terribly informative regardless.

OP
OP
E

edmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a polychaete of some kind, but I can't quite see it clearly enough for a proper ID.

Closer up pics particularly of the head from the top and of the parts where the bristles come out (both from the side and top, if possible) would be helpful.

I'd guess it's from the order Phyllodocida, but that's a guess at this point, and not terribly informative regardless.
Maybe this will help? I think they are the same type of worm, it was found on the same rock and there are little grainy structures around the rock I think could have been made by the worms.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is reminding me how much I still have to learn about polychaetes - I would guess those are separate species of polychaete; for now, I would guess they may both be Hesionid worms (which should be harmless), but I'll try to do a little deeper digging into some of the other polychaete families and see if my guess changes.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back