TDS levels

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my new TDS meter and the out my RO is 10ppm. Is this ok or should it be lower than this?

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested to see what your tds is from out of the faucet? This will help to deetermine how well your unit is working.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a little high. But it depends on what you start with. If you start with 92 like me then yes it is high. If you are starting with 600 then that is okay. You will just have to change your DI more often.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u let it run for about 10 gallons? I found after 10 it drops

+1. It is always best to run it for several gallons at a time. Not just one gallon here and there. It will actually make the membrane last longer.

What RODI unit are you using? brand, gallons per day..

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Culligan water softener and a culligan AC15 no DI. Its only 15gpd more for drinking water I am getting a new system from Spectrapure. I am getting 251 before and 17 after on the TDS.

+1. It is always best to run it for several gallons at a time. Not just one gallon here and there. It will actually make the membrane last longer.

What RODI unit are you using? brand, gallons per day..

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 251 before the RO and 17 after the RO.

That is giving you about a 93% rejection rate -- which is on the lower side, but would need to know which type of RO membrane you are using to be sure. I use a DOW FilmTec 75 GPD membrane, which gives a 96-98% rejection rate.

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to check my to see which one it is. I know it's a poor RO system not the best bought it before researching. TFM-24-A Reverse Osmosis Membrane 24gpd.

That is giving you about a 93% rejection rate -- which is on the lower side, but would need to know which type of RO membrane you are using to be sure. I use a DOW FilmTec 75 GPD membrane, which gives a 96-98% rejection rate.

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To determine how well a RO membrane is working you need a minimum of two TDS measurements, tap water TDS and RO only TDS. For a RO/DI system you need at least 3 including the first two plus the RO/DI or final TDS.
Other things also have an effect on TDS such as water pressure, water temperature, waste ratio and getting more in depth with the tap water TDS figuring the osmotic pressure correction factor.

A 75 GPD Dow Filmtec membrane should give you around 96-98% rejection rate, the 90 GPD Spectrapure will almost always be better than 98% and is guaranteed to be better than 98% with their Select series individually hand tested membranes. This can make a bigg difference since for every 2% you increase the rejection rate you double your DI life. My Spectrapure Select membrane is still at 99.43% rejection after 4 years of heavy use.

I really dislike dual inline type TDS meters and hardly ever recommend them unless its just for a presence/absence or litmus paper type test if you also have a good handheld. I have two of the inlines and a COM-100 handheld and I never even turn the inlines on anymore, they are never correct and just give me a rough idea. A $20-$25 handheld like the HM Digital TDS-3 or TDS-4TM or the new AP=1 are so much more versatile, accurate and they can test anywhere not just two dedicated points.

OP
OP
A

adamfinke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Again this isn't the best RO sys. I have 286ppm in and about 6ppm out of the RO and this is after 5gallons. I'm going to buy a handheld tester also.

To determine how well a RO membrane is working you need a minimum of two TDS measurements, tap water TDS and RO only TDS. For a RO/DI system you need at least 3 including the first two plus the RO/DI or final TDS.
Other things also have an effect on TDS such as water pressure, water temperature, waste ratio and getting more in depth with the tap water TDS figuring the osmotic pressure correction factor.

A 75 GPD Dow Filmtec membrane should give you around 96-98% rejection rate, the 90 GPD Spectrapure will almost always be better than 98% and is guaranteed to be better than 98% with their Select series individually hand tested membranes. This can make a bigg difference since for every 2% you increase the rejection rate you double your DI life. My Spectrapure Select membrane is still at 99.43% rejection after 4 years of heavy use.

I really dislike dual inline type TDS meters and hardly ever recommend them unless its just for a presence/absence or litmus paper type test if you also have a good handheld. I have two of the inlines and a COM-100 handheld and I never even turn the inlines on anymore, they are never correct and just give me a rough idea. A $20-$25 handheld like the HM Digital TDS-3 or TDS-4TM or the new AP=1 are so much more versatile, accurate and they can test anywhere not just two dedicated points.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it seems to be doing its job well. The water it produces is infinitely better to use in your tank than tap water. Upgrading would be a good idea as well. The one I use is a typhoon III from air water and ice. It has the option to make RO water only and I use that for drinking. It would let you sell the one you have and still make good clean drinking water :)

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit as Loki, and so far have liked mine also. The di bypass is a nice option, I have stopped using the filters for my pur water pitcher and just use the ro unit to fill the pitcher for drinking water and making my coffee in the mornings.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a Typhoon III before selling it to buy a Spectrapure MaxCap, what a difference! The Typhoon could only get it from 800 TDS down to 13-15 TDS with RO only no matter what I did and I even replaced the membrane.
The MaxCap gets the same tap water to between 2 and 3 with RO only so as you an imagine DI lasts much longer, in fact it was 150 gallons per cartridge with the Typhoon and its over 1000 gallons per 20 oz cartridge with the MaxCap. No comparison and the MaxCap even costs less on sale. I thought the Typhoon was the best thing since sliced bread but boy was I wrong.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back