TDS pen as a reefing Aid tool

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just a tough, could a TDS pen be used as a reefing aid tool? My tough is if we as a community could find the average TDS of a reef tank that has all the trace elements in a balance. Couldn’t we use that average to detect issues and contamination?

For example if we determined that the average reef runs at 250 to 300 TDS (just an example)

If someone tested 400 could that indicate that there is a large concentration of trace and it needs looking into or if the numbers were to low it would need some attention also?

Obviously the TDS value couldn’t tell you what’s in the water but I believe it could be used as a diagnosis that something isn’t quite right.
Just a tough what do you think? Could it be Donne?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we did this, we’d have to take into account things like salinity, dosing, use of RODI, etc. I’m sure the values would be all over the place. Also one element in higher numbers like magnesium for example may throw others off. And we probably keep more of a higher number of favorable elements in our tanks so if it were to be high or low, it’d probably give us no information as to what is right or wrong if off of the average. I’ve pondered this as well. And I wonder how accurate TDS is with so many elements anyway. I believe things like chloramines aren’t even detected anyway so it’d a very intense scientific paper.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we did this, we’d have to take into account things like salinity, dosing, use of RODI, etc. I’m sure the values would be all over the place. Also one element in higher numbers like magnesium for example may throw others off. And we probably keep more of a higher number of favorable elements in our tanks so if it were to be high or low, it’d probably give us no information as to what is right or wrong if off of the average. I’ve pondered this as well. And I wonder how accurate TDS is with so many elements anyway. I believe things like chloramines aren’t even detected anyway so it’d a very intense scientific paper.

In all honesty I would imagine the average to be quite uniform, things like led would be an issue to as I would imagine not showing as a TDS reading. The only way to find out would be to have a few numbers shared on the thread to see if there is even a chance of it being true. Obviously if it showed promising someone with more resources would have to pick it up and write it up. I can see it working as a quick emergency only not something to use as a daily routine.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS meters are used for this purpose in the freshwater shrimp and discus end of the hobby.

I think you could possibly find the set point of your own individual aquarium and use it as a quick check, but not sure what the practical value would be.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS meters are used for this purpose in the freshwater shrimp and discus end of the hobby.

I think you could possibly find the set point of your own individual aquarium and use it as a quick check, but not sure what the practical value would be.

I believe it’s also used in hydroponics to test nutrients. In reefing I was thinking the only use was as a guide line to detect issues like for example a rusting magnet. By seeing the TDS rapidly going up it could tell us that something is wrong before the icp and the dead corals. Doing it only would take a couple seconds but could save a lot of money if things ever turned to the worst

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it could be useful in your own aquarium to check for fluctuations. But in reef tanks from multiple people, we can’t even match simple elements like calcium and mag. I’d find it hard for us to all come to a consensus on an acceptable level for our ranks. Plus what each value of all dissolved solids comes out to would be a nightmare to compare.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it could be useful in your own aquarium to check for fluctuations. But in reef tanks from multiple people, we can’t even match simple elements like calcium and mag. I’d find it hard for us to all come to a consensus on an acceptable level for our ranks. Plus what each value of all dissolved solids comes out to would be a nightmare to compare.

You right can you imagine the confusion :p different salts would mix at different TDS too I guess it’s not a bad idea for self diagnosing like you mentioned.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You right can you imagine the confusion :p different salts would mix at different TDS too I guess it’s not a bad idea for self diagnosing like you mentioned.
Get some local reefers together and see. You could be on to something. Only one way to find out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back