TDS

Aquamann88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how much TDS can I get away in my RODI water for my saltwater tank?
My TDS is coming out of my system 0ppm now the water is about 2 day old and I tested it again and it reads 30ppm, does anyone have an explanation for that ?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the container clean, sealed ?
You didn’t have saltwater in there before hand?

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I still use the RO water with my TDS at 30ppm?
I think we might be confused here. Are you saying the rodi system is now producing water at 30ppm or you filled a container several days ago and tested that water today and found 30ppm? If it's the latter I would save myself the concern and never test it again. I trust the container I keep my water in and pay a lot of attention to what goes into it. Meaning it is only used for my tank so all is good.
Now if my rodi is all of a sudden producing 30ppm after letting it flush at start up I am buying a new membrane and cartridges.

OP
OP
Aquamann88

Aquamann88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we might be confused here. Are you saying the rodi system is now producing water at 30ppm or you filled a container several days ago and tested that water today and found 30ppm? If it's the latter I would save myself the concern and never test it again. I trust the container I keep my water in and pay a lot of attention to what goes into it. Meaning it is only used for my tank so all is good.
Now if my rodi is all of a sudden producing 30ppm after letting it flush at start up I am buying a new membrane and cartridges.
It produces 0ppm but if it sits a couple days the TDS is climbing up ,yes I only use it for my saltwater aquarium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it sits, there is something called salt creep where ions slowly equilibrate on both sides of the ro membrane. That’s why it is not best to keep constantly turing an ro/di on and off.

That burst of salt may be making it through the di.

If you then run it longer to flush this out, does the tds drop?

OP
OP
Aquamann88

Aquamann88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it sits, there is something called salt creep where ions slowly equilibrate on both sides of the ro membrane. That’s why it is not best to keep constantly turing an ro/di on and off.

That burst of salt may be making it through the di.

If you then run it longer to flush this out, does the tds drop?
It is coming out of my RODI system 0 TDS
If it sits in my bucket,for some reason my TDS is climbing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is coming out of my RODI system 0 TDS
If it sits in my bucket,for some reason my TDS is climbing.

Any sort of salty dust or droplets in the air can do that. Or residual stuff in the bucket. Unlikely but possible is for a little to come from a newish bucket itself.

I would not worry about that.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back