Teach me about calcium reactors

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, the calcium carbonate (dead corals) maintain both calcium and alkalinity levels. Theoretically, what happens if the calcium and alkalinity is not being absorbed in an even manner?

Also, what happens if I do once a month water changes with NWS (which is less than the calcium and alk levels that I wish to maintain) will leaving it in the same dosage amount make the cal and alk balance to the correct level?

How do you do maintenance on the reactor? When do you refill it with more of the carbonate?

Im assuming it comes with a doser attached, right? How else would I measure amount needed?

Before today I always thought the machine measured the levels and automatically corrected it. I learned that it wasn’t true, but it sounds much better for maintaining my 300+ tank.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium pellets are usually added. I found them to dissolve faster than the actual calcium reactor media.

you will need to chose a way to feed the reactor from your sump Some tee off the return pump but most feed with a peri type pump like Kamoer or medical type pump or eco tech versa.

ive has my geo going a year and its only needed filling not any type of maintenance.

in terms of water changes, you simply match cal to your tank parameters.

really it’s more of an alkalinity reactor. When calcium drops, if it ever does, you simply dose whatever calcium product you use to raise the level to your desired range. The calcium reactor is simply used to maintain levels.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bunch of posts and ramblings in a Google Doc attached to my signature if you want to read it.

The carbonate and calcium will not get used in absolute balance, but you should not have to true them up but a few times a year. This is why you still need some baking soda and calcium chloride onhand. Your salt mix from water changes will get things out of whack more than unequal consumption from CaRx output will.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back