Teco Chillers....

Reef Pro

Reef Pro Complete --> Reefprostore.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi whats everyone opinions on the Teco Chillers?.... looking at getting the Teco 2000.... how's the noise level? How does the Teco chillers compare to the jbj or aqua euro chillers?
Thanks in advance!

Lucky Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi whats everyone opinions on the Teco Chillers?.... looking at getting the Teco 2000.... how's the noise level? How does the Teco chillers compare to the jbj or aqua euro chillers?
Thanks in advance!
On YouTube Mr saltwater tank does a macna 2019 walkthrough and talks about them for a while. Not a full review but may help you decide. 10min and 30seconds into the video here

OP
OP
Reef Pro

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vangvace I reached out to @GoVols on his opinion also.... do you run the s650 with led or t5? Seems like however u run that system with as many pumps as it has it will need a chiller.... I have a aqua euro 1/2 hp and it wasn't able to keep up with the t5 on... so looking at what my options are.... seems like Teco is the way to go.... thinking of getting the 2000 due to the heart output of the t5..

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 8 t5s, 4 kessils, stock circulation pumps, 25W UV, and a Sicce ADV return pump on my s650. I plan on using a Varios2 to feed the chiller, but for now a box fan has kept me steady at 79.3. I might regret not going for the 2000, but we will see.

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reef Pro

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a tk1000! really like it. set the thermostat for 78 it never budges. when the compressor comes on you can hear it but its not that loud. the fit and finish of the jbj or aqua euro doesnt compare IMO....

DSC_0237_zps78eaef8f by shaun s., on Flickr

DSC_0242_zpsa16e59c4 by shaun s., on Flickr

DSC_0239_zpsa7877030 by shaun s., on Flickr
How does the Teco compare to the aqua euro and jbj... the Teco 1000 is a 1/4 is it the same as a jbj or aqua euro 1/4.... according to teco’s Recommendations the teco’s can cool a lot more water.... is that true?
Thanks for your help

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Teco compare to the aqua euro and jbj... the Teco 1000 is a 1/4 is it the same as a jbj or aqua euro 1/4.... according to teco’s Recommendations the teco’s can cool a lot more water.... is that true?
Thanks for your help
have never used a jbj or aqua euro. only seen them at the fish store and trade shows. so i cant provide input on there performance only touch and feel. i run this teco on a 120. a bit overkill but i like mine! the heat option is what sold me

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tk1000 on my reefer 750, it does a great job cooling the tank and keeping the water at 78. I’ve disabled the heating function for now but will
Likely keep on in the winter.

My tank is in my living room and with the stand door closed you can’t really hear the compressor more than you would a very silent fan.

I would go with the 2000 for a larger tank thank mine though. It all depends on your lights, room temp etc.

can’t speak to longevity (only had it for a few months) but build quality is far superior to JBJ.

OP
OP
Reef Pro

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have never used a jbj or aqua euro. only seen them at the fish store and trade shows. so i cant provide input on there performance only touch and feel. i run this teco on a 120. a bit overkill but i like mine! the heat option is what sold me
How long would the chiller be on at a time until it cooled the water?

OP
OP
Reef Pro

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tk1000 on my reefer 750, it does a great job cooling the tank and keeping the water at 78. I’ve disabled the heating function for now but will
Likely keep on in the winter.

My tank is in my living room and with the stand door closed you can’t really hear the compressor more than you would a very silent fan.

I would go with the 2000 for a larger tank thank mine though. It all depends on your lights, room temp etc.

can’t speak to longevity (only had it for a few months) but build quality is far superior to JBJ.
ok cool... do you know how it runs to cool down the tank? what lighting do u run.... on my S650 I run the t5 version so its 8 80 watt t5 bulbs about 4 inches off the water so it produces a lot of heat... plus all the pumps in the back the tank runs with no t5 lights at around 82

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool... do you know how it runs to cool down the tank? what lighting do u run.... on my S650 I run the t5 version so its 8 80 watt t5 bulbs about 4 inches off the water so it produces a lot of heat... plus all the pumps in the back the tank runs with no t5 lights at around 82

Sorry not sure I understand your question about “how it runs to fill down?” If asking about the mechanics?

I have 5 hydras 52 on my tank, on average ~120w each - even though leds there’s a decent amount of heat.

I also run ~150w fuge light 18hrs and have quite a few pumps.

When I ran t5s i would always put a fan to disperse some heat. Even tiny usb fans were enough to save a few degrees. You can get cheap aquarium fans on amazon or use cpu fans.

My tank was hitting above 81 when I decided to get the chiller, haven’t had issues bringing the temp down even with lights on and no AC in the room.

I’ve been able to dial in the temp within ~0.8F with the chiller.

DD6E8CAC-1708-44A6-9BDB-89C973A2F6DC.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef Pro

Reef Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not sure I understand your question about “how it runs to fill down?” If asking about the mechanics?

I have 5 hydras 52 on my tank, on average ~120w each - even though leds there’s a decent amount of heat.

I also run ~150w fuge light 18hrs and have quite a few pumps.

When I ran t5s i would always put a fan to disperse some heat. Even tiny usb fans were enough to save a few degrees. You can get cheap aquarium fans on amazon or use cpu fans.

My tank was hitting above 81 when I decided to get the chiller, haven’t had issues bringing the temp down even with lights on and no AC in the room.

I’ve been able to dial in the temp within ~0.8F with the chiller.

DD6E8CAC-1708-44A6-9BDB-89C973A2F6DC.jpeg
sorry lol I meant to say.. how long does it take to cool down the water?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a teco chiller... so the best thing I can say is that "Its a chiller". Its going to make noise when it kicks on. That being said. The teco is one of the quietest ones on the market when I bought mine. This was many years ago when I had MH's. I keep mine in storage in case of home emergency that something should happen to say the AC and I need to cool the aquarium while the ac gets fixed. Top notch chiller. Highly recommend.

KaryTse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Teco 1000 for 2 years already, it is placed inside a cabinet, and the tank is in the living room adjacent to my TV. It will certainly make some noise during cooling but not disturbing or annoying. Try to see if you can have a set of gasket as spare, as mine failed after 2 years of usage.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back