OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having some issues with zoa's as of late so Sunday I did 2.5 hours of testing and cleaning.

Running multiple tests, btw i need to get a mg and ca Hanna checker cause these drop tests suck. The Hanna checkers are so easy to use! Anyway tested the tank before a waterchange, new mixed saltwater, and after the waterchange. Also did a big cleaning of the pump, return line, and rear chambers. Flow is turned up to max on the Sicce 0.5 pump with the stock return nozzle. Getting tons of flow now too! May need to turn down the flow a bit, but we will see.

So here are my results:

8-18-19

Pre-Waterchange Tank

MG 1410
ALK 7.3
CA 470
TEMP 78.4
SALINITY 1.026

Mixed Saltwater before Waterchange

MG 1470
ALK 9.5
CA 490
TEMP 78.6
SALINITY 1.026

Tank after waterchange

MG 1440
ALK 8.2
CA 480
TEMP 78.4
SALINITY 1.026

It looks like my MG and Calcium are pretty stead but the Alk is dropping a bit more than I would prefer. I’m thinking either multiple changes weekly or dosing. Not sure I want to go the dosing route just for Alk but open to suggestions. I think WC’s might be best for this tank.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan has been closed up for close to a week, and figured the light was ticking it off. So I moved it lower in the tank yesterday, as well as gluing some zoas to the rockwork. Not sure what I will place on top of the rockwork where the duncan was. A local reefer has offered me a piece of pink birdsnest so maybe I will give that a shot.

1.jpg

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful nuvo! I dose mine with tropic marin all for reef and it has kept all of my parameters rock stable. I currently dose 2.5ml total per day with a coralbox wf-01 so a bottle will last a long time

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful nuvo! I dose mine with tropic marin all for reef and it has kept all of my parameters rock stable. I currently dose 2.5ml total per day with a coralbox wf-01 so a bottle will last a long time

Thanks! As of now I'm not going to dose. I am just going to do a large waterchange on sunday, and a smaller one towards the middle of the week. Should help with the issues I've been having.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I switched from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Coral Pro salt. Been doing small 2 gallon water changes every few days to slowly introduce the new salt, and the corals have been responding well.

Still looking for a coral to put atop the main rock. The duncan doesn't like it up there, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have also been dealing with a little bit of diatoms from the addition of the new rock. I'm assuming its still releasing some phosphates so hopefully that with alleviate itself in the next few weeks. Also my sicce return pump has been acting up a bit lately and took almost a half hour to get it going again after the latest waterchange. It's been going strong for over 2.5 years, so i'm not sure what is going on. Looking at possibly upgrading to the IM Mightyjet pump and adding a RFG nozzle. As for now I will just keep chugging along.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. What setting do you have your prime on?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. What setting do you have your prime on?

Thanks!

I’m running a modified AB+ schedule, with a little random intensity swings throughout the day. Kinda like David Saxby’s setup. It’s still in acclimation mode until the end of next month.

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, I have the same tank/light you do and run the ab+. Yours is looking a little more blue, could just be the pic though

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little vid of the flow from the Sicce Syncra 0.5. Really love this pump and the Sicce brand.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. Exactly what I would like in my setup.
Doing research ATM, I was set on the a80 myself, so was glad to see you getting good results with it, what made you change? I like the look of the kessil shimmer, so would you recommend the stronger a160 over the a80?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. Exactly what I would like in my setup.
Doing research ATM, I was set on the a80 myself, so was glad to see you getting good results with it, what made you change? I like the look of the kessil shimmer, so would you recommend the stronger a160 over the a80?

thanks! The Kessil was great and I loved the shimmer but I just wanted a bit more power. The A160 and the Prime were my options and the prime practically fell into my lap. Either light is fantastic. Honestly I prefer the simplicity of the Kessil over the prime but the prime has a lower profile.

Depending on what you want to keep either light would work. Go for the 160 if you plan to upgrade one day.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I’ll go for the Kessil then,not planning on Stocking SPS any time soon.

I read you had issues setting up the Tunze nano ATO, have you stuck with that or changed it?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I’ll go for the Kessil then,not planning on Stocking SPS any time soon.

I read you had issues setting up the Tunze nano ATO, have you stuck with that or changed it?

Only had the slight issue with the ATO, but tunze fixes it and haven’t had any issues since.

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascination favia or maybe a darth maul favia?
For zoas id say some captain Americas, rastas, or some wwc purple monsters. i dont see many yellow corals in your tank so maybe some yellow zoas like GSC Lemon Limes or GSC butt Munchers or eagle eyes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back