OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the filter media reactor?.. Im thinking on using a refugium chaeto for mine and innovate refugium led light on the 10g

Sorry for the late response. It actually worked too well. Tank was too clean for my corals so I removed it. If you were doing all sps it would do great.

Clmchrist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late response. It actually worked too well. Tank was too clean for my corals so I removed it. If you were doing all sps it would do great.

Yea i want to do some zoas acans.. and see how it goes, im already cycling with the filter media basket i got the spinning nozzle and waiting to get a sicce 0.5 that is out of stock atm in the store im working.. you have the 1.0 or 0.5 pump?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i want to do some zoas acans.. and see how it goes, im already cycling with the filter media basket i got the spinning nozzle and waiting to get a sicce 0.5 that is out of stock atm in the store im working.. you have the 1.0 or 0.5 pump?

Those would be good corals to start with.

I run the 0.5. It’s perfect for what I’m keeping.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone still following....

I got home from work and noticed I was still having polyp bailout issues. Over the past four weeks I’ve lost six heads of either hammer coral or frogspawn coral. The whole polyp was basically pulling the eject cord and dropping to the sandbed. I had checked calcium and alkalinity, even salinity, pretty much everything that you would check when you see issues happening with corals. It was baffling to me because this is something that I’ve never seen within my tank. So last night I decided to check the salinity again and noticed I had quite a spike. Somehow my salinity spiked from 1.025 to 1.030! I checked my ATO and everything was OK there. Sensor was fine, there was no issue with the pump and the reservoir was full. So I knew it wasn’t an issue of evaporation. I decided I was going to do another water change this week.

Now mind you I have made mistakes I’m human after all and over the past couple weeks I really hadn’t checked the salinity before putting the new water into the tank. I had always checked it afterwards, usually the next day or so, but I had a pretty good system in place where I knew my salinity was always where it should be, or at least I thought so. So I got the water mixed up put the salt in the bucket and let it do its thing. Now when I do a water change I’m usually only doing 2 gallons a week so that means I use half a cup of Reef Crystals each week. That means I can go through a bucket in around a year and a half, pretty efficient I would say. 1/2 cup into gallons of water usually is 1.025 or 1.026 once it’s all mixed up. I recently read that it’s a good idea to stir your bucket of salt before adding it to your water. Something about the bucket clumping and such. I read it on a forum post mentioning that it’s just a good idea to keep things mixed up so results are consistent. So a couple weeks ago I went ahead and did that.

Anyway….. Checked the water in the bucket last night before adding it to the tank and it was 1.028! Ugh…………. Sigh………. Ugh!!!!! This is most likely my issue with polyp bailout, but with only 3 of the euphyllia in my tank. :shrug: My yellow and blue hammer are happy as can be and are showing signs of splitting into another head. Same with my purple frogspawn. The issues are with the pieces I’ve had in my tank since close to the beginning. Pieces that are well established and came from healthy colonies to begin with. My acans, favias, zoa’s and mushrooms are all showing good health and growth. Overall very baffling.

Did the water change and salinity was still high, so over an hour I would remove a turkey baster’s worth of water, and let the ATO replace the rear chamber. After an hour I was back to a salinity I was happy with. Also had to do some fragging to remove dead skeleton on the hammers and frogspawn. Re-glued them into new spots, and left it alone. I will check parameters again tonight when I get home and see if there is any changes. Lesson learned I guess on my end. ☹

Here is a photo taken before waterchange, after fragging was complete.

IMG_1620.JPG

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the kessil controller? (Sorry if you have mentioned that somewhere)

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided I needed a change. Instead of starting a new tank, I'm going to switch out the rockwork and go from there.

1.jpg

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it happened tonight. Spent two hours removing frags, fragging off dead heads, and rescaping the tank. Ended up using 4 bottles of super glue gel as well.

Lost the Superman shroom and at least one frogspawn. Basically the frogspawn that was showing polyp bailout issues. Might loose another hammer in the next couple days but I figured that would happen. My blue and yellow hammer are still looking great and as long as they are happy I’m happy.

The new rock is a piece of caribsea liferock that has been cured at the local LFS. I think it looks great. Not as over bearing as the last scape and very little shadowing issues. That was a huge problem for me and something I was trying to avoid with this change.

Im excited to see the change and potential this has. My little nano has officially been rebooted. So I hope you stick along to see it’s second growth.

5.jpeg 6.jpeg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it happened tonight. Spent two hours removing frags, fragging off dead heads, and rescaping the tank. Ended up using 4 bottles of super glue gel as well.

Lost the Superman shroom and at least one frogspawn. Basically the frogspawn that was showing polyp bailout issues. Might loose another hammer in the next couple days but I figured that would happen. My blue and yellow hammer are still looking great and as long as they are happy I’m happy.

The new rock is a piece of caribsea liferock that has been cured at the local LFS. I think it looks great. Not as over bearing as the last scape and very little shadowing issues. That was a huge problem for me and something I was trying to avoid with this change.

Im excited to see the change and potential this has. My little nano has officially been rebooted. So I hope you stick along to see it’s second growth.

5.jpeg 6.jpeg

I like it!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank cleared up from the night before and things looked pretty happy and healthy. The purple frogspawn is holding on by a thread, and I fully expect it to not make it through the weekend. I’m also trying to nurse back to life a couple hammers, but if they fade away it is what it is.

Looking to add maybe a couple more favia to the left side of the rockwork, and let them encrust over there, and zoa’s along the front rock. If I can get my hands on a frag of Japanese Toadstool I will add one of those as well.

Attached are a couple new photos of the tank settled and happy.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I really like that acan

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I really like that acan

Thanks! Nearly lost that acan a year ago. It was just down to the skeleton, but everything bounced back and its been a strong grower since then.

love that red blastsomussa, looking forward to seeing how the rebooted tank grows in!

Thank you, me too!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back