tehSAC's NUVO 10

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same water I have been using since the start of this tank. Walmart Distilled Water.

It could come from the water or elsewhere. They could have changed suppler especially at this time of shortages.

Do you use siporax? I believe that is claimed to be a source too.

Do you do ICP testing? Check to see if that’s the issue.

Sera do a silicate remover, might be worth trying that if it’s a big issue? I would probably check to see if it was the cause first though.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could come from the water or elsewhere. They could have changed suppler especially at this time of shortages.

Do you use siporax? I believe that is claimed to be a source too.

Do you do ICP testing? Check to see if that’s the issue.

Sera do a silicate remover, might be worth trying that if it’s a big issue? I would probably check to see if it was the cause first though.

Hmmm didn't consider that. I'll look into silicate removers and see if that help. No I don't ICP test, and i am unaware of siporax.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I'm dealing with a diatom issue here. I do not get any film on the glass overnight but during the day I do. I have been advised to just keep doing waterchanges and it should pass in time. I also have a couple spots of GHA that I'm going to dab some Hydrogen Peroxide on during my next water change. Hopefully that will kill it off.

Lost by beautiful ORA birdsnest yesterday. Accidentally dropped it onto the hammer coral over the weekend and was going to frag off the good pieces last night, but it was gone before I got home. dang bummer as it was beautiful, but it is what it is I guess.

Today I'm picking up some new corals though. It's gonna be a haul and this tank is gonna be packed! Some are coming from a member here, and some that my LFS got ahold of for me. Excited to show them off in the next few days.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a haul of corals yesterday and other goodies. Excited to show them off when the tank gets settled and I find permanent homes for all the corals.

A local reefer generously gave me:

A jar of Coral Frenzy
Nano Flipper
Real Reef rock rubble
Intank Media Basket
Keds Reds Zoas
Mandarin Orange Zoas
Gobstopper Palys
Nirvana Palys
Rainbow Clove Polyps
Grandis Palys

I also picked up from my LFS:

2 Heads of Grim Reaper Torch
Yellow Submarine Favia

Saturday I'm picking up:

Spicy Lemon Favia
Bubblegum Digitata

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you going to put all of that! Lol

I want a torch but Im having a hard time figuring out where to put one with everything else I have planned so it won’t kill things.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you going to put all of that! Lol

I want a torch but Im having a hard time figuring out where to put one with everything else I have planned so it won’t kill things.

Haha right? I have spots and my tank looked like crap last night after placing corals on to the rocks, but I do have a plan. The torch is on its own rock with some zoas. It's tentacles are not as long as some torches I have seen so I'm not worried too much about sweepers.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are a couple newer photos of the tank. I've placed the corals and also put in some more rock. The new rock and gives me a little more room to add a few more corals in the future.

Lost the Red Digi over the weekend too, but have yet to remove the skeleton. I've also added another carbon and phosphate pad to the media basket to help with phosphates and clarity. The chemi-pure is a good product, but I just need a little more for now.

Original Post has an updated coral list.

14.jpg 15.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've acquired a love of favia's over the past year or so. Recently I added two new pieces that really "pop"

Yellow Submarine and a Spicy Lemon. Pictures suck and don't do them justice.
1.jpg
2.jpg

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank - following along, 2 months into my build.

Question on vacuuming. I use a python for freshwater, but im hesitant to do that on this tank - i dont think i would get it vacuumed before removing 5 gallons :). how do you do it?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank - following along, 2 months into my build.

Question on vacuuming. I use a python for freshwater, but im hesitant to do that on this tank - i dont think i would get it vacuumed before removing 5 gallons :). how do you do it?

Thanks!

I pinch/kink the end of the hose to only allow so much water to come out. Slightly open the pinch point to start the siphon, and close it to let the sand drop. The detritus stays suspended until I open the siphon again. I'd say about 1/2 gallon is removed when I siphoned.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still around.

I seriously almost threw all of this in the trash. Corals were not looking great, ATO stuck on and threw the salinity off, etc etc. So frustrating and just wanted to be done with it all. Plus the daily stresses of life were taking me away from maintenance and overall desire to do anything with the tank or life. I’d do a two gallon change every week, scraped the glass, and fed the fish. Hell, I barely wanted to even look at the tank. In September my youngest came to me and said “dad, what are the little green hairs and bubbles in your tank?” I took a quick look and honestly couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Bubble algae and GHA in various spots all over the tank. Something happened that night and it took me back into “reef mode.” I started to scrub my rocks during large water changes with peroxide to remove the GHA, plucked the bubble algae, and stopped siphoning the sand weekly. I started to see changes in the coming weeks. Zoa’s were starting to open back up, and new heads almost every other day on some of the varieties I have. Before I did large waterchanges, I would really blast the rocks with a turkey baster, get the junk suspended in the column and do the 3-4 gallon water change. I’ve been doing this for 2 months now and the health, growth, and colors of my corals have never been better.
F043DB4D-586E-49C2-A0E7-9C87E5331DFF.jpeg
B49C7606-117B-4FB6-B246-C788E2B4E76D.jpeg
305F2221-2723-4867-9EAF-BD57E3F19E30.jpeg
433BD217-B61B-4927-AAF2-474994EFFF51.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Looks great - nice recovery!!!

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing!

Everyone goes through those periods (I’m in one atm) where we get into a funk and don’t do much to our tanks. I’ve been battling Dino’s and believe I finally jumped into cyano now so that’s looking good. Getting myself back into the grove and will update my build thread as well!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing!

Everyone goes through those periods (I’m in one atm) where we get into a funk and don’t do much to our tanks. I’ve been battling Dino’s and believe I finally jumped into cyano now so that’s looking good. Getting myself back into the grove and will update my build thread as well!

for sure. I’ve had this tank up and running for almost 4 years and I’ve wanted to quit a few times. Something always draws me back into it though. Good luck with your tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back