Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I decided to purchase an Aiptasia eating filefish (hopefully Aiptasia eating) all of my pepperment shrimp have died over the years and I’ve started to see Aiptasia come back, as you can see in picture! Haha I would like to hear your guys thoughts on these or successes/failure stories.

07F10C2E-387C-43ED-BC3B-B542F638917E.jpeg

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one in my QT tank right now. Not a sign of aptasia in the tank but lots of them in the overflow box.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one in my QT tank right now. Not a sign of aptasia in the tank but lots of them in the overflow box.
There isn’t much coral in my tank I’ve moved everything due to moving shorty so don’t have to worry much about him nipping at corals. Just want him to clear the rocks before they go into my new tank. Best of luck with your guy!

JayLu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine about two months ago. I don’t think it has eaten any Aiptasia so far, or at least not much. I have read they sometimes take time to start eating it, so I am still patiently waiting. Also, it is a very strange looking fish.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine about two months ago. I don’t think it has eaten any Aiptasia so far, or at least not much. I have read they sometimes take time to start eating it, so I am still patiently waiting. Also, it is a very strange looking fish.
I was thinking the same thing he is very strange looking

U

User1

View Badges
I've owned two. One a model reef tank fish the other semi and true to the 'with caution'. Both eradicated and/or managed my tanks aptasia problem. Meaning while the fish was in the tank there was little to no visible pest. Once the fish was removed it was noticeable.

Some notes:
1. Both are matted filefish (which I believe is Acreichthys tomentosus)
2. One was from LFS and unknown source
3. One was from Pacific East Aquaculture who only sells captive raised/bred - so it was from BIOTO and again Acreichthys tomentosus
4. First one was mature and probably a couple years old - hard to tell age when we don't ask or they don't offer it but I'd say 1 to 2 years a guess. Decent size and still grew in my tank
5. Second one was tiny - size of a quarter. Kept in a 5 gallon tank first for about a month then moved to my display
6. Both went after aptasia. Preferred spores and smaller size first. Medium second, and larger ones, well, it kept in check by eating tentacle's (more on this in a minute)
7. Great personality, always out, visible, changed color, ate all foods and continue to control aptasia
8. Both nipped at corals (soft, lps, and sps)
9. Both ate zoa's - I couldn't keep them
10. BIOTA one ate zoa's, small frogspawn frags, and duncan coral (remember the large aptasia and my comment on tentacle's? Duncan's have them and so I'm thinking maybe mine connected the dots - not sure just an observation because the base coral was left alone)

Probably sums it up. Owning one usually means you have a problem enough to warrant control. Shrimp are opportunistic feeders so typically second choice for me. I have seen them steal food from mouth type corals (elegance corals and bubble tip anemones). To the matted file fish one should consider the trade off and decide if it is an acceptable to mitigate the issue. They are great fish and do their respected job. Just known to nip corals. In fact there is a post from biota here and they noted their matted (which I used) filefish does indeed find duncan's tasteful ...

One interesting point worth noting. Goes for all of the "with caution" tagged fish. If the corals are mature enough such that they can outgrow the casual nipping then it becomes a moot point if they nip. Xenia, frogspawn, zoa's, or duncan's can out compete the drive by nips and it is no big deal. My first matted filefish was like this as it picked at my hammers but never hurt them. Whereas the 2nd one the corals are not mature enough so it caused issues (thus me returning to LFS).

Too long of a post - sorry. They work, they are great, be aware of some corals, and with-caution is for a reason. All the best!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one. It never bothered any corals or aiptasia

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing he is very strange looking
And strange acting. He'll spend hours with his nose buried in a corner.
He did have a clam close on his snout for about 20 minutes 2 weeks ago.
But the corner thing was before and after.
Like you said. Funny fish

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned two. One a model reef tank fish the other semi and true to the 'with caution'. Both eradicated and/or managed my tanks aptasia problem. Meaning while the fish was in the tank there was little to no visible pest. Once the fish was removed it was noticeable.

Some notes:
1. Both are matted filefish (which I believe is Acreichthys tomentosus)
2. One was from LFS and unknown source
3. One was from Pacific East Aquaculture who only sells captive raised/bred - so it was from BIOTO and again Acreichthys tomentosus
4. First one was mature and probably a couple years old - hard to tell age when we don't ask or they don't offer it but I'd say 1 to 2 years a guess. Decent size and still grew in my tank
5. Second one was tiny - size of a quarter. Kept in a 5 gallon tank first for about a month then moved to my display
6. Both went after aptasia. Preferred spores and smaller size first. Medium second, and larger ones, well, it kept in check by eating tentacle's (more on this in a minute)
7. Great personality, always out, visible, changed color, ate all foods and continue to control aptasia
8. Both nipped at corals (soft, lps, and sps)
9. Both ate zoa's - I couldn't keep them
10. BIOTA one ate zoa's, small frogspawn frags, and duncan coral (remember the large aptasia and my comment on tentacle's? Duncan's have them and so I'm thinking maybe mine connected the dots - not sure just an observation because the base coral was left alone)

Probably sums it up. Owning one usually means you have a problem enough to warrant control. Shrimp are opportunistic feeders so typically second choice for me. I have seen them steal food from mouth type corals (elegance corals and bubble tip anemones). To the matted file fish one should consider the trade off and decide if it is an acceptable to mitigate the issue. They are great fish and do their respected job. Just known to nip corals. In fact there is a post from biota here and they noted their matted (which I used) filefish does indeed find duncan's tasteful ...

One interesting point worth noting. Goes for all of the "with caution" tagged fish. If the corals are mature enough such that they can outgrow the casual nipping then it becomes a moot point if they nip. Xenia, frogspawn, zoa's, or duncan's can out compete the drive by nips and it is no big deal. My first matted filefish was like this as it picked at my hammers but never hurt them. Whereas the 2nd one the corals are not mature enough so it caused issues (thus me returning to LFS).

Too long of a post - sorry. They work, they are great, be aware of some corals, and with-caution is for a reason. All the best!
Thank you! I will report back with updates! He’s a pretty good size probably 1.5”-2”.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one and really enjoyed it. But I did think my current tank was just really bad at growing zoanthids, sympodium and other small softies, and I wondered why one flower anemone never had tentacles. Turns out they can really live a long time without tentacles. They are all grown back now. :)

leighla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest fish. Everyone loves our filefish. They are curious and entertaining and a unique fish.
Mine didn’t eat apastia but did eat my rock flower nems. We’re all good now, but I was peeved for a few days!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My not so little aip destroyer, I need to catch it and get it back to my lfs for their display, it took out my last big aip (RIP Fred) earlier in the week and cleaned a new frag overnight last night, it could have been the copperband, it has chewed some softies but they don't have any in their display. :)

DSC_0010 (1024x786).jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My matted filefish took all foods...and aiptasia....and zoas (although he left the rest of the corals alone). I rehomed him.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure I just saw my guy chewing on some Aiptasia! Well keep y’all updated

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back