Tell me about your Low Nutrient / ULN system that doesn't have dinos

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULN allow folks to increase the availability of DON wile removing DIN.
Coral will grow faster in the presence of DON for a constant production of DON folks have to keep adding lots of food to a system and remove the end pollutants which is DIN. ULNS will become a thing from the past as more and more folks start to realise that you can buy DON in a bottle this days and not needing to add a large biological load to achieve the same end point in a more controlled manner.
What is don and din ?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you school me what’s the difference between inorganic and organic in lay man’s term
The main difference is that organic nutrients contain a Carbon atom In them. Organic nutrients are more widely known as Carbon, Nitrogen and phosphorus. Inorganic nutrients will be your po4 and no3 they are the final stage of nutrient and also considered by many pollutants, it’s my belief that autotrophic organisms benefit from DON and Heterotrophic organisms benefit from DIN for most of the organisms that require dissolved nutrients.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference is that organic nutrients contain a Carbon atom In them. Organic nutrients are more widely known as Carbon, Nitrogen and phosphorus. Inorganic nutrients will be your po4 and no3 they are the final stage of nutrient and also considered by many pollutants, it’s my belief that autotrophic organisms benefit from DON and Heterotrophic organisms benefit from DIN for most of the organisms that require dissolved nutrients.
I like your description.
So when we add an additional carbon source (vodka,etc) we send the autotrophic colony into overdrive, "consuming" N & P at a faster rate. Everything else equal, we get a lower level of measured nitrates & phosphates. Question: what is the waste product left over from that consumption process? I end up with a lot of extra "goop" in my skimmer.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your description.
So when we add an additional carbon source (vodka,etc) we send the autotrophic colony into overdrive, "consuming" N & P at a faster rate. Everything else equal, we get a lower level of measured nitrates & phosphates. Question: what is the waste product left over from that consumption process? I end up with a lot of extra "goop" in my skimmer.
Yes, in my opinion we get lower pollutants and by effect make nitrogen and phosphorus more available for some autotrophic organisms like coral and algae.
The availability of Nitrogen and Phosphorus will be dependent on Dissolved organic carbon and how much important a system gets.
my understanding is that a skimmers will remove particular organic matter and during carbon dosing the skimmer will also be removing the pelagic bacteria that assimilates nitrates and phosphates

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen an sps dominated tank that carbon doses, but I'm also not very good at finding things like that. If I search for carbon dosed sps tank and I can't find anything, then I pretty much give up there. Would anyone here that carbon doses and also keeps an sps dominant tank be willing to post photos?

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one and it was reef of the month. He runs very low nutrients via carbon dosing and an ATS. When asked about major challenges, there was no mention of dinos.

@TUSI

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back