Tell me your experience with a yellow tail tamarian wrasse

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on my LFS to get one in and wanted to hear your experience with them. I know the care requirements and have all that under control. I also have successfully kept many leopard wrasses in the past and currently have 2 in my tank. This will be my first attempt with a tamarian wrasse, are they much different than keeping leopards?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much different, they do get larger. If you can source one from Madagascar, I have found these to be hardier.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked one up a few weeks ago from the LFS. It was still in the bag from the distributor (had been bagged earlier that same day).

It went into a fully cycled (5 months running) 30G QT with a 3" sand bed and lots of LR in the QT and 30G sump. The fish went straight into the sand. It was up and about for a bit the next day and I fed it some newly hatched brine shrimp and live blackworms but it wasn't interested. Found it dead the next morning.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any experience to speak from with tamarin wrasse. Some day!

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much different, they do get larger. If you can source one from Madagascar, I have found these to be hardier.
Good to know....is there a way to tell by looking at the fish it's from Madagascar? Distinct markings, shape, color etc...?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of Tamarins as mentioned they have similar requirements to Leopards except they grow larger. I currently have a Blue dot and a China. I recently lost my yellowtail. I grew it from a 3/4" juvi to over 6" before it jumped. Even though my tank is covered with netting and acrylic it was strong enough when it jumped to knock off the acrylic I use around a return line.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know....is there a way to tell by looking at the fish it's from Madagascar? Distinct markings, shape, color etc...?
Unfortunately not. It's markings are the same. But there is something in the way they collect/ship that helps their difficult fish do better.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back