Temp rise in 10 gallon reef tank help!!!

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers
Last night my ac broke and my room temp rise to 30 degrees, according to my fluval heater it actually tells at temp the tank water is which read 30 and i woke up this morning fish were fine but i am worried about my corals ( i have a hammer coral, open brain, zoas, plate, goni, blasto and kenya tree, i suddenly moved the tank to my living room were it was cool and temp is slowy decreasing now its at 28 i literally super worried about my corals does anyone have a idea on what may happen next would they recover or parrish.

This is them ATM.
Any help?

image.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is that no AC in Kuwait woudl be uncomfortable. Part of it depends on what temperature you keep your tank at normally? 30 degrees is about 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I would do what you're doing. Lowering the temp quickly may cause more potential problems. (i.e. adding bags of ice, etc).

Time will tell what will happen - but here is a quote from a short article which may give you some more hope:

"Reef-building corals cannot tolerate water temperatures below 64° Fahrenheit (18° Celsius). Many grow optimally in water temperatures between 73° and 84° Fahrenheit (23°–29°Celsius), but some can tolerate temperatures as high as 104° Fahrenheit (40° Celsius) for short periods."

PS - If you do decide to add some bags of ice to the tank - I would take them out after the temp was 26-27. Turning the lights off may also help decrease the temperature.

Lastly - if you have a way to increase oxygen in the tank (an ayirstone, more flow, etc) - that can also help - since oxygen levels decrease with increasing temperature

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp rise was gradual, I would drop it gradually as well. Fans do well blown directly on the surface.

The coral don't look too peeved off.

If you can, adding a temperature controller such as an inkbird with the cooling side, hooked to a fan will help your swings if you're inside temp ever gets up there again.

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that no AC in Kuwait woudl be uncomfortable. Part of it depends on what temperature you keep your tank at normally? 30 degrees is about 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I would do what you're doing. Lowering the temp quickly may cause more potential problems. (i.e. adding bags of ice, etc).

Time will tell what will happen - but here is a quote from a short article which may give you some more hope:

"Reef-building corals cannot tolerate water temperatures below 64° Fahrenheit (18° Celsius). Many grow optimally in water temperatures between 73° and 84° Fahrenheit (23°–29°Celsius), but some can tolerate temperatures as high as 104° Fahrenheit (40° Celsius) for short periods."

PS - If you do decide to add some bags of ice to the tank - I would take them out after the temp was 26-27. Turning the lights off may also help decrease the temperature.

Lastly - if you have a way to increase oxygen in the tank (an ayirstone, more flow, etc) - that can also help - since oxygen levels decrease with increasing temperature
the tank was in the guest room when the ac broke and started to throw hot air out inatead of cold, corals have like this transplent string realsing from them idk how to explain it but iam not sure its good, its like a white strings the brains are realsing them i think and the plate let me see if the picture can show it.
idk what it means but i am concerned alot since some of the corals are expensive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp rise was gradual, I would drop it gradually as well. Fans do well blown directly on the surface.

The coral don't look too peeved off.

If you can, adding a temperature controller such as an inkbird with the cooling side, hooked to a fan will help your swings if you're inside temp ever gets up there again.
atm what do you recommed to save the corals?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank was in the guest room when the ac broke and started to throw hot air out inatead of cold, corals have like this transplent string realsing from them idk how to explain it but iam not sure its good, its like a white strings the brains are realsing them i think and the plate let me see if the picture can show it.
idk what it means but i am concerned alot since some of the corals are expensive.
You have done a tremendous job with this tank. It is breath taking. I do not have any advice. But I really love your tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - I would think with stress - this could happen. I also think there is no 'easy fix' except to wait and see what happens as the water cools - except to perhaps increase oxygenation.

One issue - IF coral starts to die - it can cause problems in the tank (i.e. chemical release) - I would carefully monitor your ammonia, etc if there is any sign of coral 'death' - Also you could consider activated carbon.

I meant to say it earlier - welcome to R2R - its a nice tank

EDIT - PS - Don't panic. Go slow. Watch carefully - don't try to make multiple changes.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atm what do you recommed to save the corals?
At the moment, I have no reason to think the coral will perish.

Just bring the temp on the tank down. I would use a fan, blowing directly on the top of the tank to assist. Is this isn't dropping the tank, a small handful of ice cubes, in a ziploc bag every 30 minutes will. 10g is not a lot of water to cool off, but you do need to get it down.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some fresh saltwater that is cooler than your tank, you could slowly do a few water changes to try and get it down to 27 of below. Too quick of a change will do more damage than high temp, so go very slow.

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some fresh saltwater that is cooler than your tank, you could slowly do a few water changes to try and get it down to 27 of below. Too quick of a change will do more damage than high temp, so go very slow

atm its 27 i just checked, i closed the lights just pray tbh, i really hopes it pulls through
i will update you with pictures and videos later on.
thankyou to all the helpful tips, i appreciate it alot thankyou again

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think your making a joke or maybe you are, i guess really hope i didnt kill it.
Omg my reply sounds so serious without the laughing emojis, i typed them in but they didnt send haha.
if what your saying is true thankyou so much and i hope the tank pulls through if not then i guess we wait. hahaha

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some fresh saltwater that is cooler than your tank, you could slowly do a few water changes to try and get it down to 27 of below. Too quick of a change will do more damage than high temp, so go very slow

atm its 27 i just checked, i closed the lights just pray tbh, i really hopes it pulls through
i will update you with pictures and videos later on.
thankyou to all the helpful tips, i appreciate it alot thankyou again
Coral are a lot more resilient than you might think. The chances they recover from a temporary heat stress event is very high.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back