Temp Swings

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now have my Biocube 32 set up with a custom computer fan for cooling and the Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo 150w for heating all hooked up to the Inkbird 308 and it is working perfectly.

Now my question is what should I set it too and how much of a swing should I allow?

Right now it's set to 78 degrees Fahrenheit with a 3 degree swing so it crawls back up to 81 being summer, then the fan kicks on and it's back down to 78 for a while.

Tank has live rock, 3 hardy fish, CUC, and a lot of hitchhikers in it, but I plan on getting coral at some point.

I can force it to stay at 78 if I want, but with the temps outside that just means the cooling fan is going to be working day and night.

What all do you think the best temps are, can it swing, and if so by how much?

OP
OP
Kiboshed

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. I live in Wyoming and my tank was getting to 84 every day. Little fan has been a life saver.
77-80 is where I keep mine. You don't want more than a couple degrees in temp swings. Right now since it's super hot here in AZ it's a struggle to keep my tank at 80 since I don't have a chiller.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea S650 swings between 25 and 29c without any problems for a short period of several weeks or so.

I do have a large pedestal fan that I bring out in summer pointing down at the surface of the water, (and to cool me!) and I will turn it on manually as and when the temperature goes over about 27c or thereabouts

Stability is of course the best option, and in my large system I have a chiller that gets switched on during the summer months and keeps the temperature between 25-26

So if you can, keep it as stable as possible

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back