Temperature Calibration Help

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does everyone truly verify what their tank temperature is?? I've had 5 different readings, all at the same time, from 5 different temperature probes, and I don't know which one to trust!

Old style glass aquarium thermo: 78.? (hard to tell on this style)
InkBird heater controller: 78.6
Electronic thermo: 78.7
Meat Thermometer: 79.3
Seneye: 79.3

Now, I did get two to agree, and all the temps are within a degree. But, how do we know what the real temp is? Should I just take the average and adjust them to all read that? What does everyone else do?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a margin for error with everything. Looks like all of yours are within 1° and with no need for your temperature to be any more precise, don't worry about it. We often confuse our own desires with the inhabitants actual requirements (the ocean temperatures do fluctuate).

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a cup with ice. Top it with cold water. Wait five minutes then insert probes. Should read 32°. Repeat with boiling water (near sea level) should read 212°

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a cup with ice. Top it with cold water. Wait five minutes then insert probes. Should read 32°. Repeat with boiling water (near sea level) should read 212°
@NS Mike D Do you know if calibrating at that temp (freezing) will make it accurate at the higher temps? With boiling water, I assume I can make the water much hotter, making it harder to calibrate.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I banged my head against the wall years ago when I first set up my tank....your same question. There is no "standard" you can buy to verify your temperature. What I eventually came to accept for the benefit of my miniscule brain is that stability is what is important. Pick a temperatute and stick with it. As already stated, all your temps are close...pick one, and be happy. :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back