Temperature of Fish (marine) only Tank

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating on purchasing a chiller due to the temperature of my aquarium fluctuation between 81-83 most of the time. What is a good temp to keep it at and is it necessary to purchase a chiller for fish only my tank is 600 gallons so it hard to drop with a fan!
Thanks for any advice

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating on purchasing a chiller due to the temperature of my aquarium fluctuation between 81-83 most of the time. What is a good temp to keep it at and is it necessary to purchase a chiller for fish only my tank is 600 gallons so it hard to drop with a fan!
Thanks for any advice
78 is common temperature, but some fish have cooler needs (Catalina Goby)

I've a chiller that is undersized for my 180g and I've 1 coral bleached as I can't keep my temps down. I'll be watching this post to see if you get chiller brand reliability info

Vines_FLReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem. My 120 runs at 82 but did jump up to 84 when I turned my skimmer back on. I took the front pieces of my glass canopy off and it's back to 82. Is 82 degrees really a problem?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82 shouldn't be a problem. It used to be the thing to do to try and increase SPS growth. As long as the fish have sufficient oxygen as O2 levels will be lower at higher temps. Actually my tank is a mixed reef and is 82-83 in summer but 78-79 in winter. The hottest reef I had was 86 every summer, a 20g nano in a hot apartment.

The hottest my tank ever got was 93 for a few days when the central air broke during a heat wave. I lost almost every acropora but every LPS/softy and fish didn't bat an eye. Not healthy long term I am sure but surprising!

A quick google states the annual temp of most coral reefs is 82-84. Some of these reefs fluctuate seasonally a good amount like those in Florida area and others are pretty stable upper 70's, low 80's like Palau.

78 is sort of like... the happy middle for the creatures from different parts of the world. If you can afford a chiller, then it's not bad to have.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea gets warmer than 81-83. For fish only, I wouldn't be too worried in that range.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: did finally purchase chiller sized for my tank - new chiller doesn't seem to stay on all daytime like my older/smaller chiller, so glad I made the upgrade.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back