Temperature Probe Placement

  • Thread starter Thread starter R6REEFER
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

R6REEFER

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2014
Messages
337
Reaction score
53
Location
San Antonio, Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up a 125 SPS dominant and the heater I'm using is a True Temp 500w titanium heating system (more than enought in South Texas). As per the manual it says the order has to go:
Drain>heater>temp probe>return

To me that would be slightly inaccurate due to the fact it's deliberately after the heating element. I had it placed in the skimmer chamber BEFORE the heater but I realized that would give the water too much time to cool down the plumbing. The temp probe reaches the display tank and looks pretty discrete. Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems to be like due to common sense that would be the most accurate placement of the probe. What do you guys think??
20150903_142630.jpg
20150903_142558.jpg
20150902_181923.jpg
 
I have 2 temperature probes. 1 in the baffles between skimmer section and return section and one in the return pump section. Both of them read pretty closely to each other. 1 probe is from my Ranco controller and one is from the Apex.
 
If your return pump is properly sized then none of this will matter. I had concerns that my 1st floor DT may have a lower temp than my basement sump where the probe and heaters are. I took a hand held TDS/temp meter to both and both tested the same.

So don't stress over it.
 
I like to havemy probes in the drain section of the sump before the heater. I feel it ensures the water is more even throughout the system.
 
Good deal. I just didn't figure it'd be a good idea to have it directly by a 500w heater. Once it's up and running I will get out the ol glass therm and toy with it. I think I'm going to stick with DT though, it's really unnoticeable due to the canopy plus I don't mind the way it does look. Thanks for the info guys!
 
One thing to be aware of with your DT idea is that if the return pump is out for an extended time (like if it stops working and it takes a while to fix/replace it), then the tank temp in the DT will fall, causing the heater to turn on. With the heater in the sump, only the sump heats up and the temp in DT continues to drop which leaves the heater on and the sump temp continues to climb.
 
Very good point but with the return pump I'm using (Ecotech Vectra) I will be alerted of any changes with the pump through text and email via reeflink/ecosmart.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new