Temporary Evaporation Solution

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a few days I leave for 2 weeks in the Bahamas (hopefully). While I am gone coral watching my buddy will be checking on my tank for me. I have a 28 gallon nanocube, and he has no clue what he is doing. I recently took off the hood on my cube to replace it with an AI prime. This meant I started to evaporate much more water. Anyways, I need something to keep my levels somewhat stable and I can’t afford an ATO or an acrylic lid. My 2 best ideas are

A. Saran-wrap over the top but leave the back sump open for gas exchange.

B. Take the lid of a plastic tub and cut it to size for a lid.

I am just worried that either of these options may mess with my light or gas exchange. Thanks in advance!

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not leave it as is and just have him top off for you every couple days?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think you’re better off leaving it as is and asking your friend to top off the tank. I would be very nervous about making big changes like that shortly before you leave for 2 weeks. If you do wind up with a gas exchange issue or if the Saran Wrap falls into the tank and gets caught up in your wave pump or who knows what could happen and you would have no idea before you got back.

An ATO might be an option for the future, but again, I would be hesitant to install something new like that right before you leave because you won’t be there to watch it to make sure it’s functioning as expected.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried saran wrap will get hot or full of moisture and sag into the tank. Then you have a real mess.

All my tanks are covered with plate glass for evap reasons. Its cheaper than plexi and won't sag. As long as you have surface agitation you have gas exchange.

I would just train your friend to carefully top off your tank manually every couple of days.

OP
OP
jacka342

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies. I will just get the friend to top off as frequently as he can. I’ll look into plate glass in the future!

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have extra RODI on hand so he doesn’t run out, you’d hate for him to top off with bad water

OP
OP
jacka342

jacka342

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have extra RODI on hand so he doesn’t run out, you’d hate for him to top off with bad water
I learned my lesson about well water a few weeks ago, got my first DKH test and found out it was 16! Thankfully nothing bad happened and it has lowered naturally with using RODI water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back