Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the patch kits go out to everyone? Mine clearly has holes in it and will need to be patched.
If you got a shipping confirmation then one was shipped to you. If not, then please email customer service at [email protected] with your order number and one will be shipped out Monday. Order number is important.

MeauxJeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had bought a small piece of acrylic from a hardware store to practice on and cut a patch out of it. I didn't check to see if it leaked first I just put the patch on. Miraculously all my sump seams held water. No leaks. lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received an email on 2/20 with a tracking # saying my Patch kit was on the way. As of today it still has not shipped. Sent an email today to inquire.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, has anybody attempted to seal the hole with solvent? I'm trying it right now, I don't see a reason it wouldn't work but maybe someone with more experience could say yes or no. I'll report my findings regardless.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, has anybody attempted to seal the hole with solvent? I'm trying it right now, I don't see a reason it wouldn't work but maybe someone with more experience could say yes or no. I'll report my findings regardless.
I tried doing that first. I discovered that my hand wasn't steady enough, and I didn't like it messing up the finish on the sump.
Because of that, I didn't continue and used the patch.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so update. It worked. I thought the only leak was from the trademark dot, filled with solvent, wiped any overflow and let the rest evaporate. Waited 30 minutes, filled and found it no longer leaked but further leaks found in the waves that come from the "R". Again, used solvent but dripped on the base of the all the letters and let the solvent flow into the cracks, wiped with microfiber cloth and let sit. Filled, no longer leaks. There is a slight haze on the letters but the black hides it really well. Used weldon 4.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received an email on 2/20 with a tracking # saying my Patch kit was on the way. As of today it still has not shipped. Sent an email today to inquire.
Nevermind. Patch arrived in the mail today. I guess the tracking# provided wasn't actually a valid tracking#.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright friends - I could use some advice. Awhile back I shared that I made a mistake of trying to use some leftover weldon 16 in a foolish attempt to rush things, and I think that was a fatal mistake. It was almost water tight at first, enough that I could get a plumbing test in without noticing any leaks, but there were tons of bubbles in the seams and during some subsequent tests I got pinprick drops. Patching (with either weldon4 or 16) isn't really doing much good because of the glass. Plus, I'm getting frustrated as the intial weldon16 and subsequent attempts to patch the pinpricks led to some unsightly seams, and I don't dare clean up the edge as that's the only barrier to the slightly permeable bubbles at the actual joint.

So, frustration is making me want to disassemble and re-assemble. Is this insane? I've harvested acrylic from sumps and ATOs before, but never actually tried to disassemble with the goal of reassembling. Any tips to not just crack panels in half, if this isn't a completely insane idea?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright friends - I could use some advice. Awhile back I shared that I made a mistake of trying to use some leftover weldon 16 in a foolish attempt to rush things, and I think that was a fatal mistake. It was almost water tight at first, enough that I could get a plumbing test in without noticing any leaks, but there were tons of bubbles in the seams and during some subsequent tests I got pinprick drops. Patching (with either weldon4 or 16) isn't really doing much good because of the glass. Plus, I'm getting frustrated as the intial weldon16 and subsequent attempts to patch the pinpricks led to some unsightly seams, and I don't dare clean up the edge as that's the only barrier to the slightly permeable bubbles at the actual joint.

So, frustration is making me want to disassemble and re-assemble. Is this insane? I've harvested acrylic from sumps and ATOs before, but never actually tried to disassemble with the goal of reassembling. Any tips to not just crack panels in half, if this isn't a completely insane idea?
I'm pretty sure you'd have to cut it at the seam because Weldon fuses the acrylic. After that, you might be able to get away with sanding the cut edge? I'd imagine it won't look good at the mating surface without proper polish work. I guess it comes down to what your time and repair cost is worth.

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found leaks after my 3 gallon was up and running for a week. I emptied it and cleaned it, and the front piece came off completely. I'm going to sand it and redo.
Since I had it down, I emptied the sump and cleaned it out. I sprayed hot water in it and heard a "pop" - the bottom seam came apart on one side. I've let both dry out for a day, and going to attempt repairs.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump came out good but I majorly screwed up the tank. Prolly gonna scrap mine. lol
this is very reassuring to hear i'm not the only one. I built a different sump, but same story - sump with the right weldon went together beautifully. But i'm so invested in getting the frag tank to work! I don't want to admit defeat on the "DT" part.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure you'd have to cut it at the seam because Weldon fuses the acrylic. After that, you might be able to get away with sanding the cut edge? I'd imagine it won't look good at the mating surface without proper polish work. I guess it comes down to what your time and repair cost is worth.
Thanks. Yeah I've cut to remove the corners before, but not enthusiastic about turning a 11" into a 10". The DIY puzzle continues with this project :)

I'm not too concerned about the cleaning side, I have the sandpaper (600-4000), polish, and polishing bits. Won't be factory, but hopefully not this fritted-glass effect from the weldon16 that seems impossible for weldon to percolate through sufficiently

Chewy954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found leaks after my 3 gallon was up and running for a week. I emptied it and cleaned it, and the front piece came off completely. I'm going to sand it and redo.
Since I had it down, I emptied the sump and cleaned it out. I sprayed hot water in it and heard a "pop" - the bottom seam came apart on one side. I've let both dry out for a day, and going to attempt repairs.
do you think this was resulting from using too little weldon?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am not sure about yours but mine drips slow small beads of water from the "e" in tencor. I am going to ditch the leaky sump and just plumb the frag tank into one of my current systems. I ordered different bulkheads for the tank because the holes were a bit small to fit the original Lifeguard bulkheads I had purchased. The frag tank itself holds water well. The sump would have held water well if it were not for the logo. Kind of sad about the sump. Sorry to hear that it wasn't just mine that had an issue.
what brand bulkheads did you go with?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back