Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as well. Would there be a chance of @Tenecor Aquariums mailing these replacement panels proactively?
Patches and replacements are already being shipped. It's not just emails for replacements. There are lots of custom orders. Lots of them. Our solution will reduce email volume. We don't have issues like laser burn through very often. Almost never actually. But that is not reason for slow email response. It's volume.

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already answered, I think. I too am waiting for an email response on this.
Yeah I think they replied seconds before I did.

I just want to say though, that I'm still really impressed with Tenecor and how they collaborated on this build and worked with everyone through development and when the problem with the sump was found. Even now they already had a plan in motion.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just want to say though, that I'm still really impressed with Tenecor and how they collaborated on this build and worked with everyone through development and when the problem with the sump was found. Even now they already had a plan in motion.
I stan tenecor

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as well. Would there be a chance of @Tenecor Aquariums mailing these replacement panels proactively?
That was the plan the plan all along. The devil was trying to find all the sump pedestal orders in with all the other orders. I think they got it sorted out and all of the patches should be out by the end of tomorrow, Still can't believe we burned through the wall like that. I reviewed the run program, and the setting was around 10%. It was one of the new lasers and they are powerful.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you and @dansyr and everyone else for your understanding. These things happen. They will happen again. But we always stand behind what we do. More DIY drops are coming. You are guinea pigs and that is something we appreciate. Finally, if anyone is utterly dissatisfied with these drops, you will always be able to get a full refund on them including shipping. All the best.

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta share this with you guys. Our Magnum™ aluminum stands are pretty popular and we have been working on skins for them. The original panels were attached with magnets but did not work as well as we wanted. The latest design is a winner. The orignal panels were resin composites with aluminum skins. Really cool but available only in white, black, and gold. The new panel selection will be literally dozens of options, patterns, colors, wood, and composites. We expect them to be available early spring once the edge banding machines we have on order are delivered. Concept images below.
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta share this with you guys. Our Magnum™ aluminum stands are pretty popular and we have been working on skins for them. The original panels were attached with magnets but did not work as well as we wanted. The latest design is a winner. The orignal panels were resin composites with aluminum skins. Really cool but available only in white, black, and gold. The new panel selection will be literally dozens of options, patterns, colors, wood, and composites. We expect them to be available early spring once the edge banding machines we have on order are delivered. Concept images below.
m2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg
Will these be something we can be guinea pigs for? I'm setting up several new aquariums for some breeding experiments, and now I'm needing some stands.

MeauxJeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what about pricing for the stands? WIll it be competitive with pricing on like wood stands/cabinets?

Last edited:

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with Tenecor but, this is the first time I'm using bulkheads. Is it normal to not be able to use all the threads of the bulkhead? Like, I have a 1/2 threaded pvc pipe that I'd like to fully thread into the bulkhead, but I can't get more than a few heads by hand. Had the same issue threading my 1/2 locline return adapter. Appreciate any input.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with Tenecor but, this is the first time I'm using bulkheads. Is it normal to not be able to use all the threads of the bulkhead? Like, I have a 1/2 threaded pvc pipe that I'd like to fully thread into the bulkhead, but I can't get more than a few heads by hand. Had the same issue threading my 1/2 locline return adapter. Appreciate any input.
yeah that's pretty typical. the "outside" threads should be quite tight to really squish the gasket into the tank wall. but inner threads usually feel a little tighter than typical fittings. which is good. not an actual plumbers so someone else will have to provide the actual reason

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious what everyone is planning to use for a nozzle for their return flow. I have been working on modifying a random flow generator to work for this. I tried to just use a 1/2" RFG but it was just too bulky and offered no ability to angle and adding more locline just pushed it to far into the tank.

I found some nice 3d print files for a 1/4" RFG that was produced by Cleven, you can find his designs on thingverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/cleven/designs. I took his design and sized it up about 20% to allow more flow and then added an 15 degree angled flange to his design to allow me to attach directly to the bulkhead. I'm fairly happy with it so far as I am not pointing right at the front of the tank anymore and the size is not so obtrusive.

I'll post some pics of the part below, please bare in mind this is a quick prototype that is not pretty and was printed quick just to test. I have also included a picture of the 1/2" RFG for size comparison.

20230216_102836.jpg

20230216_104925.jpg

20230216_102714.jpg

OP
OP
Tenecor Aquariums

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about pricing for the stands? WIll it be competitive with pricing on like wood stands/cabinets?
A question like this needs a long answer. "Wood" stands can be anything from low cost/quality chain pet store stands with particle board panels to high end custom millwork. And the gap in in between can be something like what you get with one of the well advertised glass aquariums, similar to garage cabinets. Will these be competitive with the low end particle board stands? Of course not. That stuff is eventually destined for the landfill, so is it really a good value? High end custom millwork is something we will be providing as well since this is part of our aquarium furniture initiative. At this time, I want to point out all of these stands will be built by us. No outside contractors. I mentioned previously we signed a lease on yet another facility for just this reason. It is important for us to keep this capability in house. The images are of the basic aluminum frame design. No control panels or internal shelving. These can be considered our entry level models. They still will have adjustable "Bigfoot" leveling legs and made with oversize profile. This collection will be available as DIY self assembly as well or factory assembled as part of an entire setup. The deck and shelf will be 1/2 inch PVC with Starboard HDPE as an available (but pricey) upgrade. Hinges will be top quality BLUM or equivalent. The available skins for these will be pretty wide but still limited to around a half dozen or so selections. Importantly, the warranty on these will be at least five years on the panels, lifetime on the frame. This is why "cheap" is not always the best value. I have seen the stands from these glass companies and what they look like just one year out. Cheap, corroded hinges, swelling wood panels, dubious structural integrity. Now, About those leveling feet. There are lots of threads started here regarding uneven floors asking how to Shim up a stand, etc. Our answer is leveling feet BIG ones, not cheap little stiletto heels that will ruin floors. Another glass company has a cute assembly video showing their aluminum stand being quickly assembled then picked up and carried away. Don't try this with a Magnum stand. Even the small ones are heavy and take time to put together, if DIY. The next level up will have control panel mounting boards, internal lighting and other goodies with a wider selection of skins. The top end will feature cantilever perimeter decks as well as open spans of up to 10 feet. Canopies with light mounts will be available for all models. Our lighting selections will be available in about three weeks. Equivalent to Primes at about 30 percent less. With longer warranties. Back to the canopies. There is a reason why rimless glass tanks don't have canopies. The inherent weak design of the "rimless" tank will be further compromised if a canopy sits on it. Our answer is the floating "bikini" canopy that does not touch the tank, does not collect condensation, contains light spill and frankly looks awesome.

Last edited:

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious what everyone is planning to use for a nozzle for their return flow. I have been working on modifying a random flow generator to work for this. I tried to just use a 1/2" RFG but it was just too bulky and offered no ability to angle and adding more locline just pushed it to far into the tank.

I found some nice 3d print files for a 1/4" RFG that was produced by Cleven, you can find his designs on thingverse at https://www.thingiverse.com/cleven/designs. I took his design and sized it up about 20% to allow more flow and then added an 15 degree angled flange to his design to allow me to attach directly to the bulkhead. I'm fairly happy with it so far as I am not pointing right at the front of the tank anymore and the size is not so obtrusive.

I'll post some pics of the part below, please bare in mind this is a quick prototype that is not pretty and was printed quick just to test. I have also included a picture of the 1/2" RFG for size comparison.

20230216_102836.jpg

20230216_104925.jpg

20230216_102714.jpg

Lochekey,
I'm going with a Bettonsin 2" wide Duckbill Nozzle off Amazon. 2pcs $9.99
Color: Dark Gray
Total Size: 75mm x 50mm / 2.95" x 1.97"(L*W)
Nozzle Size: 50mm/1.97"
Pipe OD: 22mm/0.86"
Pipe Inner Dia.: 17mm/0.67"
Had to sand it down .020" to fit in .84 ID bulkhead. Will sand some more to seat deeper for 2" length

Will be pairing with a IM Mighty Jet MINI 266gph return pump on wave/pulse mode. Amazon $99.99

1676581915369.png

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my concern with the duckbill style nozzle or a spray bar is that the flow will be too linear with no variation and without being able to run a wave pump there is nothing to break up that flow. Hence my choice of the random flow generator. I may be way over thinking this but that was my concern.

I have done several iterations of my design today and think I am almost finalized on it. It is printing now, figure I will try it out for awhile and then change it in the future if I'm not happy with it.

20230216_175255.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back