Tenecor's $29* ReefPoint® 3 Gallon DIY Frag Kit Drops This Thursday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

whybenormal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think this was resulting from using too little weldon?
Probably yes on using too little weldon.
I also had problems with the syringes I used, very hard to push.
I found some glass ones on Amazon, and bought a pack of disposable needles - 100% easier to use, and the weldon doesn't try to fuse the syringes together.
I redid the frag tank with the new syringes and it went much better.
I'm up and running again - minus the light I bought and didn't like. Waiting for another one.

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
curious why?
Nothing but problems. Tank came and my standard bulkheads didn't fit had to hunt for new. Waited for sump to arrive to fully assemble. Put together the sump only to find out it leaked at the laser etched logo. No problem, I will plumb it into my system instead. In post #610 Tencor said to email him if the tank was leaking at the logo and he would send out a no cost replacement. I emailed them and they confirmed so I threw out the leaking sump only to be notified two days later that they changed their mind and would send out a patch instead. Wouldn't have thrown it out had I known they were going to change their mind. Put together tank using Weldon 4. Tank ran plumbed in my system for about twelve days and the front blew out. Luckily I was home and heard the pop and saw the water shoot out of the stand. Pitched it and bought a prefab to plumb in.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank ran plumbed in my system for about twelve days and the front blew out.
Hey me too! well it was the sump and it only lasted 3-4 days. turns out I didn't angle the joint right so the weldon didn't penetrate as much as I thought. Not scrapping it though, I cleaned up the edges and plan to re-weld.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I guess mine will be getting a long leak test in the garage....

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I guess mine will be getting a long leak test in the garage....
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I fully disassembled frag tank, sanded off the old messy seams, polished, and reglued. Because of hand sanding, the butts were ever so slightly bevelled so I had to apply weldon to both inside and outside. 72 hours later, it holds water! Drained and going to let it sit dry for a few days while sump finishes curing. I'm just so ridiculously happy the seams are clean again. Then for a 2week garage leak test since this project has taught me my acrylic skills are worse than I thought :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the kits, I have the patch, I have the weld-on, now I just need the spare time. But you all are making me nervous now. Any tips you wish you knew before you started?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the kits, I have the patch, I have the weld-on, now I just need the spare time. But you all are making me nervous now. Any tips you wish you knew before you started?
Clamps are cheap and invaluable, Three per panel, Bottom, middle, and top. If you're doing it right, you should be able to look through the joined pieces.

OctoReef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clamps are cheap and invaluable, Three per panel, Bottom, middle, and top. If you're doing it right, you should be able to look through the joined pieces.
Sorry, my IT brain is being very literal and I'm confused about this clamp setup. The only clamps I know that can do a 90 degree clamp are the box clamps for cabinetry that use straps. But you say 3 per panel, and then bottom middle top. I'm Just really confused and may need some crayons for this explanation. Lol

stephnjeph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry, my IT brain is being very literal and I'm confused about this clamp setup. The only clamps I know that can do a 90 degree clamp are the box clamps for cabinetry that use straps. But you say 3 per panel, and then bottom middle top. I'm Just really confused and may need some crayons for this explanation. Lol

When I built mine I asked a local business that specializes in various acrylic builds what the best in home manner of assembly would be using Weldon 4 and this is what they recommend. I used a combination of corner clamps and band clamps to ensure the best possible angles and what I thought would be the strongest bond. They worked well in regards to ease of assembly. Even though I scrapped my tank, if I were to build another I would use the same method. I purchased these items at a local Harbor Freight store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230312-110056.png
    Screenshot_20230312-110056.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230312-105931.png
    Screenshot_20230312-105931.png
    234 KB · Views: 29

MeauxJeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought all three of those, from harbor freight. I still **** mine up. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Edit* Actually I bought the ratchet strap one because I'm working on a 93 gallon cube that I bought in 2016 and never put water in it. I'm terrified its gonna split a seam. I figured that might help keep it together long enough to maybe pump the water out. I don't care, I'm putting water in the dang thing before I kick the bucket. lol

Last edited:

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used tape and minor weight like a phone, but put the speed square in the opposite corner. Those cabinet corner clamps look way better though. I did use bar clamps when attaching the bottom panel as the bottom slightly warped on v2 so I definitely clamped the corners.

On the clear joints, if you balance your phone right you can get the flashlight focused through the pane, and it makes it even easier to make sure the weldon is traveling fully through the joint.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used tape and minor weight like a phone, but put the speed square in the opposite corner. Those cabinet corner clamps look way better though. I did use bar clamps when attaching the bottom panel as the bottom slightly warped on v2 so I definitely clamped the corners.

On the clear joints, if you balance your phone right you can get the flashlight focused through the pane, and it makes it even easier to make sure the weldon is traveling fully through the joint.
I had a similar approach. I used 2 speed squares on the outside and taped the bottom panel to side panel edges once it was close to 90 degrees. Then further held it perfect using the squares and tape on the top edge of the square.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
has anybody had direct contact with tenecor?

on saturday, i spent $300 on a 20g ato reservoir that i need for an upcoming overseas work trip….
figured it would have shipped by now.
no responses to messages either
(and there wasn’t any disclaimer on their site mentioning production delays/or shipping timeframes for reservoirs, they only mention build/shipping timeframes for aquariums)

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anybody had direct contact with tenecor?

on saturday, i spent $300 on a 20g ato reservoir that i need for an upcoming overseas work trip….
figured it would have shipped by now.
no responses to messages either
(and there wasn’t any disclaimer on their site mentioning production delays/or shipping timeframes for reservoirs, they only mention build/shipping timeframes for aquariums)
I placed an order on the 10th and it hasn't shipped yet. I was under the impression that many of their standard items are made in batches so figured I was waiting on the next run. I am not in a hurry though. Last time I emailed with a question it took a few days so if you are in a hurry I would call them. I was going to get one of their ATOs but built my own. If you have a plastics supplier nearby it isn't hard to build one.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back