Tentative newbie fish stocking list

Nightfyre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,

Newbie here. Was hoping somebody more experienced than me can give me some input on my tentative fish stocking list. It will be a 90 gallon fixed reef tank. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Clownfish x2
Yellow tang
Bristle tooth tang
Lawnmower blennie
Six line wrasse
PJ Cardinals x3-5
Neon Goby
Ryal gramma basslet
Coral beauty Angelfish
Yellow watchman goby/Randall pistol shrimp pair x2?
CUC TBD
LPS and Softies

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion would be to stock the least aggressive and smallest fish first, the most aggressive/largest last (gramma, tangs). I don't know if you'll have issues with the lawnmower and watchman, but they are similar in shape/size. What about a tailspot blennie?

Last edited:

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party.... In my experience the lawnmower and my two gobies (randalls and ping stripe) all seem fine together. The lawnmower actually perches higher on the rock while the gobies perch closer to the bottom near their dens. They also don't feed on the same things, so I think it works.

Otherwise I have no feedback or experience with the other fish. I've been terrified of six lines as I've heard they're aggressive. I have also heard that you can start with 3 or 5 cardinals and you end up with only one eventually. I've had no personal experience though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all,

Newbie here. Was hoping somebody more experienced than me can give me some input on my tentative fish stocking list. It will be a 90 gallon fixed reef tank. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Clownfish x2
Yellow tang
Bristle tooth tang
Lawnmower blennie
Six line wrasse
PJ Cardinals x3-5
Neon Goby
Ryal gramma basslet
Coral beauty Angelfish
Yellow watchman goby/Randall pistol shrimp pair x2?
CUC TBD
LPS and Softies
Don’t go for a Sixline if you want peaceful fish that also hide in the rocks.
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia is notoriously aggressive and will kill other wrasses as well as smaller, peaceful fish. If you want a wrasse go for one (or a group) from these genera;
- Cirrhilabrus
- Macropharyngodon (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)
- Anampses (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)
- Paracheilinus
- Pseudojuloides (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)
- Halichoeres
- Xenojulis (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)

I also wouldn’t do 2 tangs in this size tank. I personally believe that a 4’ 120 is borderline for a Yellow Tang so I would wait until you can have a 6’ tank for any Zebrasoma. This is due to aggression as well as activity from this fish. However, a 90 can house a smaller species of Bristletooth Tang perfectly. For the smaller species I recommend;
- C. tominiensis
- C. binotatus
- C. flavicauda
- C. cf striatus
- C. trunctatus

The rest of the stocking looks perfect however I will warn you if you were to have two pistol/YWG pairs it’s not 100% that they will all pair up, it’s likely that they may fight to the death. So I would stay with 2 Yellow Watchman’s (Both bought as juveniles/small specimens) and 1 pistol shrimp.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t go for a Sixline if you want peaceful fish that also hide in the rocks.
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia is notoriously aggressive and will kill other wrasses as well as smaller, peaceful fish. If you want a wrasse go for one (or a group) from these genera;
- Cirrhilabrus
- Macropharyngodon (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)
- Anampses (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)
- Paracheilinus
- Pseudojuloides (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)
- Halichoeres
- Xenojulis (Once tank is Atleast 7 months old)

I also wouldn’t do 2 tangs in this size tank. I personally believe that a 4’ 120 is borderline for a Yellow Tang so I would wait until you can have a 6’ tank for any Zebrasoma. This is due to aggression as well as activity from this fish. However, a 90 can house a smaller species of Bristletooth Tang perfectly. For the smaller species I recommend;
- C. tominiensis
- C. binotatus
- C. flavicauda
- C. cf striatus
- C. trunctatus

The rest of the stocking looks perfect however I will warn you if you were to have two pistol/YWG pairs it’s not 100% that they will all pair up, it’s likely that they may fight to the death. So I would stay with 2 Yellow Watchman’s (Both bought as juveniles/small specimens) and 1 pistol shrimp.
I second this!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party.... In my experience the lawnmower and my two gobies (randalls and ping stripe) all seem fine together. The lawnmower actually perches higher on the rock while the gobies perch closer to the bottom near their dens. They also don't feed on the same things, so I think it works.

Otherwise I have no feedback or experience with the other fish. I've been terrified of six lines as I've heard they're aggressive. I have also heard that you can start with 3 or 5 cardinals and you end up with only one eventually. I've had no personal experience though.
Yep, this. I'd also never get a six line for the same reason - they seem to more often than not grow up to be terrors (of course there are also people out there who say theirs are model citizens). Luck of the draw like so many fish I guess.

I'd suggest a melanurus wrasse @Nightfyre - prettier than the six line in my opinion, though it gets a big larger (should be totally fine in a 90 gallon), does the same job, and peaceful (mine is anyway, lol).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back