Tenting for termites - DT light off for 3 days

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My place needs to be tented for termites with vikane. I’ve read @Dana Riddle ’s article about his experience with vikane and various sea critters in jars, so I thought I’d post in his forum.

The plan is to run a small air line 50 feet long from outside the tented house to the tank which will be inside a ‘tent’ of a 100 gallon heavy duty trash bag. I’ll tape the bag to the floor to seal it as well as possible. There are 5 fish, an anemone, two crabs, three snails, and 6 or so corals.

I think to avoid excess air/water contact I shall unplug the skimmer. I’m unsure if I’ll stop the kalkwasser dosing or not, as the bag fits over the container.

To avoid heat buildup I plan to unplug the DT light, but the refugium light will still be run as it’s only a few watts. On second thought as the refugium controller is run by the DT light, I guess it will be off also.

here’s a picture of the tank, and another picture of the tank tented. 1) any comments or suggestions from experience with this? 2) will things be ok in the dark for three days?

A2D08C97-2BE3-4FBB-9F46-BE9152DD427E.jpeg

FF47D75D-4051-4C1B-8E7C-D3723D896AF2.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my house tented, I brought the tank outside under a canopy for 2 days.
But this was easy with a 10 gallon cube.

Interested to see experience from others reefers too. Not sure what I would do now with my 60 cube...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be OK as long as you have positive air pressure from a safe remote source. Be sure to use the food bags the pest control people will give you. Vikane can pass through regular plastics. As for the animals surviving a days-long period of darkness, I can only relay my experiences with live rock that I cured for several months. This was done in darkness for 2-3 weeks to avoid a massive algal outbreak when nutrient levels were high due to die off. Calcareous algae, encrusting corals, and, unfortunately, Valonia and Aiptasia survived. Later, after the curing tank was illuminated, I threw a couple of baby Sarcophytons and a small Blastomussa in. Poor move to my part, these eventually fell into cracks and crevices of the 100 pounds or so of curing rock. Weeks (months?) later, I cleared the tank of rock and found of the Sarcos and the Blasto on the bottom of the tank where they had been shaded. They weren't in the best of shape, but I placed them in the DT where after 2 years they are alive and well.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be OK as long as you have positive air pressure from a safe remote source. Be sure to use the food bags the pest control people will give you. Vikane can pass through regular plastics

I couldn’t find any food safe bags large enough for the tank - I have 100 gallon ultra heavy Duty contractors garbage bags to shroud the tank. I’ll go with two layers. I hope vikane won’t make it through that.

unfortunately, vikane proof bags don’t come that large, unless anyone has a source I don’t know about.

the tenting starts next Saturday

ps. Thanks for the reply Dana!

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find any food safe bags large enough for the tank - I have 100 gallon ultra heavy Duty contractors garbage bags to shroud the tank. I’ll go with two layers. I hope vikane won’t make it through that.

unfortunately, vikane proof bags don’t come that large, unless anyone has a source I don’t know about.

the tenting starts next Saturday
Hmmm... the company I used in Hawaii supplied bags that were large enough to cover 100-gallon RubberMaid tubs. I *suppose* you'll be OK as long as your 'safe' air supply maintains a positive pressure. I would feel better about it if the Vikane-proof bags were used as an insurance policy.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... the company I used in Hawaii supplied bags that were large enough to cover 100-gallon RubberMaid tubs. I *suppose* you'll be OK as long as your 'safe' air supply maintains a positive pressure. I would feel better about it if the Vikane-proof bags were used as an insurance policy.
I’d feel better too, if they were vikane approved bags.

if you, or anyone else, has contact info, I’ll try to obtain them. Or else it’s going to be these heavy duty bags....

i think a regular aquarium air pump will maintain enough air (and can provide enough positivity). I have my choice of two, so I’ll test to see which is best and go with that.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Take it outside, run some extension cords and place it under a 10x10 canopy. That’s what I did with a pair of 60 gal tanks and a 29 biocube. Look. And I camped in the backyard x 2 nights!

3D428D2F-4C53-489F-AAB9-6DACE14A210E.jpeg 90D8282D-1EE2-4C8A-9953-08B56F32F27A.jpeg 63C05E2E-4BD4-402A-9B9B-472A404C2536.jpeg 11BBE5A3-8EA3-4636-8EBB-41238E45AC46.jpeg 74AE0C21-39EE-4857-A07F-101D9F4D3E29.jpeg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d feel better too, if they were vikane approved bags.

if you, or anyone else, has contact info, I’ll try to obtain them. Or else it’s going to be these heavy duty bags....

i think a regular aquarium air pump will maintain enough air (and can provide enough positivity). I have my choice of two, so I’ll test to see which is best and go with that.
Talk to the fumigation contractor and put the burden on him. The guy in Hawaii offered to replace livestock if anything went wrong (it didn't.)

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk to the fumigation contractor and put the burden on him. The guy in Hawaii offered to replace livestock if anything went wrong (it didn't.)
That’s a really good idea.
I still would be devastated if it killed everything all my fish, inverts and live rock.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still would be devastated if it killed everything all my fish, inverts and live rock.
I was not happy with the contractor's offer to replace the livestock (that were in 3-100 gallon RubberMaid tubs and a 55-gallon DT) - I wanted assurances that everything would be OK. Since moving all tanks wasn't an option, the contractor worked with me.

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Dana, you’re giving him a lot of business, in a time when smaller companies like fumigators really need business. Let him figure it out. Worst case, you just find another fumigator. The termites won’t eat the house in the week it takes to set up with another fumigator (Speaking from experience, unfortunately).
Also, sorry you had to go through the termite issue. I wouldn’t wish that upon my worst enemy.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned up some sources for Vikane-proof bags. Google 'buy nylofume bags' if the contractor can't help (and he should.)
I looked for nyloflume bags, but didn’t find any large enough. The largest I found were 36x20 or so. The plastic bags I have that fit the whole tank/stand/sump are 33x34x79”

the contractor is making me sign a waiver that won’t hold them liable for the fish.

if I could move the tank, I would, but I’m sure that would cause a lot of disruption not to mention potential leaks.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know how many gallons that tank is still, looks about 50? The 29 biocube was very easy for me and 1 friend. Dropped the water to about 4inches. Placed on a flat dolly and carefully Got it outside under the 10x10. Water back in and plugged it back. It cleared right up. I wouldn’t risk any of my livestock.

OP
OP
splitting_lanes

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know how many gallons that tank is still, looks about 50? The 29 biocube was very easy for me and 1 friend. Dropped the water to about 4inches. Placed on a flat dolly and carefully Got it outside under the 10x10. Water back in and plugged it back. It cleared right up. I wouldn’t risk any of my livestock.
Yeah, almost 50. I was able to move my biocube 29. But this one has quite a sump system in the cabinet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with the fact that turning off the lights for a couple days shouldn't hurt. If you're going to put in an 'air line' anyway - why not put in a line to your skimmer? and leave it on?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if it were me, I'd look for another contractor. Let him advise you, and if things don't work out.... No responsible hobbyist wants to lose livestock. Hold the contractor's feet to the fire. Just in case. During my 18 years in Hawaii, I had my house fumigated 3 times, and always had the contractor cooperate,

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was another member who did this and his tank came out fine.
I can't remember thr title.
Was this the one?
So my tank seemed to have survived my termite tenting. I’ll have to see what happens over the next few days but no losses so far. Luckily I don’t think I have very sensitive corals cause the ph did drop significantly (8.0.- 7.4) over the 48 hour period but I’ll have to watch them. From what I’ve read, Inverts are highly susceptible to the vikane and tear gas that was used and so far no deaths Two days later. Finger crossed.
a411d00f62916f5568a7a51494052324.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back