Termites and reef tanks (seriously!)

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is admittedly a strange question. Lately I have noted several homes in my neighborhood getting tented for termites and it gives me a feeling of dread in regards to my currently thriving reef tanks. I do not have any termites in my home at present but they seem to be closing in! Has anyone ever had to “tent bomb” your home, and if so, short of breaking down all the tanks and removing all livestock how do you safely manage the tanks during the “bombing” (Or is the full break down the only option?) Like I said, pure dread!!!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search on r2r as other week i read same thread on same matter and gave advice/tips and tricks of how to wrap your tanks in plastic and feed air into it in certain way so as not to get any of the chemicals they use in the air/water in and around your tanks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was one thread about fumigation.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is admittedly a strange question. Lately I have noted several homes in my neighborhood getting tented for termites and it gives me a feeling of dread in regards to my currently thriving reef tanks. I do not have any termites in my home at present but they seem to be closing in! Has anyone ever had to “tent bomb” your home, and if so, short of breaking down all the tanks and removing all livestock how do you safely manage the tanks during the “bombing” (Or is the full break down the only option?) Like I said, pure dread!!!
Tenting is fumigation with vikane gas. It kills everything alive in the tent.

The first and best option it to take down set up temp and than reset tank up.

Second option is to completely seal the tank with plastic. Run a air pump out side the tent to the tank. Add exhaust back out. You want to create positive pressure to keep out the gas. The plastic has to create an air tight seal.
This is the best option for most.

3rd is to do nothing and hope for the best but expect 100% loss.

Please get a termite inspector out. Fumigation is used for drywood termites. They get into the attic and can do extensive damage before they are noticed. While they are at it they will check for subterranean termites. They also can do extensive damage before found.

Under ideal conditions termites can eat a foot of 2x4 in 6 months.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You currently do not have termites... but they're around your neighborhood.

A Pest Control Company can't be a PROACTIVE PARTNER with you so you avoid the "tent" altogether?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You currently do not have termites... but they're around your neighborhood.

A Pest Control Company can't be a PROACTIVE PARTNER with you so you avoid the "tent" altogether?
There's nothing to stop drywood termites. Its when you get them.
Sub termites there's lots that we can do to prevent them.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take that back. There's a treatment that may help and thats borates. That will help but won't necessarily stop.

Remove dead trees and keep wood piles away from the home

There was a customer that I was dealing with that brought drywood termites into his home from cabinets he brought with him from Arizona. In that case it was dead if winter when I found them. He winterized his home and opened it all up and turned fans on. His house got below zero and stayed below freezing for 3 days. Killed all the dry wood termites.

OP
OP
carbasaurus

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the last freeze them out technique but sadly I live in so cal. We might get below freezing for a few hours during random winter nights but no chance at a three day stretch!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the last freeze them out technique but sadly I live in so cal. We might get below freezing for a few hours during random winter nights but no chance at a three day stretch!
We don't have dry wood termites in the north the reason freezing them worked.

lalesiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that some people have had success protecting their reef tanks during termite fumigation by simply covering them with plastic sheeting and leaving them in place. However, I would personally be nervous about this approach, as I wouldn't want to risk any harm to my aquatic livestock. If you're not comfortable with this option, I would recommend temporarily relocating your tanks to a safe location outside of the fumigated area.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back