Test kit suggestions

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just wanting to see when your cycle is finished? If so API will be just fine, from then on I would go with red sea or salifert..

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby. The only time you'll use ammonia test is when you are cycling. You can toss the nitrite stuff. As interesting as it is to watch it go up and down, it's useless. Nitrate however keep that. That you'll use frequently even after your cycle. I have been using the API nitrate for about a year. I am getting ready to upgrade to the red sea kit I think. I need higher resolution than what API kits offer. I can't seem to keep nitrates up enough for my corals to be happy, I always get a reading close to zero.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby. The only time you'll use ammonia test is when you are cycling. You can toss the nitrite stuff. As interesting as it is to watch it go up and down, it's useless. Nitrate however keep that. That you'll use frequently even after your cycle. I have been using the API nitrate for about a year. I am getting ready to upgrade to the red sea kit I think. I need higher resolution than what API kits offer. I can't seem to keep nitrates up enough for my corals to be happy, I always get a reading close to zero.
Hahaha I've been in the hobby for like 6-7 years lol just haven't set up a new tank in years so i was curious about any new products for testing there may be. But I appreciate it

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I've been in the hobby for like 6-7 years lol just haven't set up a new tank in years so i was curious about any new products for testing there may be. But I appreciate it
Oh. In that case, I may have questions later. lol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back